Topic: Carburetor problems maybe

MittieLee1935    -- 06-17-2024 @ 1:07 PM
  My 1935 Ford will start up easily and idle for over 15 minutes without smoking out the tailpipe or missing. Everything sounds strong and no guel is present weeping out the carburetor. Now the problem. When I press on the gas pedal the motor instantly dies. There is plenty of fuel in both inline fuel filters but no amount of cranking will get the motor to start again. Waiting until the next day the car will start again but repeat the same conduct. Help please !

carcrazy    -- 06-17-2024 @ 3:27 PM
  Your accelerator pump may be defective or disconnected. Your coil or condenser may be going bad. You may have a loose connection in you ignition primary circuit. Your fuel tank vent may be plugged.
Have you tried using starting fluid (ether) to get your engine to re-start after it stalls?

40 Coupe    -- 06-18-2024 @ 4:36 AM
  Stromberg 48 or 97 carburetor? The accelerator pump has to add fuel to the engine to increase engine RPM, with the engine off after running for a couple of minutes look down in the Carb throat, move the accelerator and you should see two streams of fuel squirt. If not, it would appear Carb. needs work. or the fuel level is very low. One fuel filter is enough. You obviously have modifications so photos would help or a more complete description.
Your symptoms may be indicating either the coil or the ignition condenser may be going bad after heating up. If the Carb. looks good, you may consider changing one at a time. If you can accelerate when the engine is cold, this is not the problem.

MittieLee1935    -- 06-19-2024 @ 2:38 PM
  My car has a Holley 2100. I thought it was correct but maybe not. Of course nobody has a rebuilt Holley 2100. What do yall recommend?

MittieLee1935    -- 06-19-2024 @ 3:46 PM
  There is gas present around gasket on side facing right fender. Could I just bolt a Stromberg 48 and be good to go?

MittieLee1935    -- 06-19-2024 @ 4:31 PM
  Today I discovered that after car started and idled for 3 minutes ( not yet hot) when I increased rpm motor died. I bought my car in 2019 so I could not swear that the motor in it now is original.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=17092