Topic: '36 Ford Running hot but not overheating.

zoopie36    -- 06-12-2024 @ 5:38 AM
  My 36 Ford with a modified '50 Merc Flathead runs about 200 degrees but does not overheat! Would like to have it run at a lower temp. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. zoopie

same    -- 06-12-2024 @ 7:26 AM
  zoopie,wondering what radiator you have,any idea when last was flushed,foundry sand/rust plugging rad., block passages? not sure if orig. rad. from your car would be sufficiant for hopped up merc. mill. im sure others will chime in more knolegeable than i.
about cooling sys. water pumps doing their job? any movement with rad cap removed? Tom.

ford38v8    -- 06-12-2024 @ 8:28 AM
  180º - 200º is perfect.

Alan

zoopie36    -- 06-12-2024 @ 11:08 AM
  Thanks, Tom. I had a brand-new radiator built for this car. I am not running thermostats and am wondering if that could raise the temperature?

zoopie36    -- 06-12-2024 @ 11:10 AM
  Thanks Alan. So, you think that 200 degrees running temperature is not too high?

ford38v8    -- 06-12-2024 @ 3:18 PM
  212 is boiling, below that is gravy down to 180. It wants to be up to at least 180, so no thermostats just takes a little longer to get there. If it blows out the top of the radiator, you’re either running too hot or the radiator is too full. You’ll also likely find that standing at a stoplight will raise the temp, but will go right back down at speed.

Alan

carcrazy    -- 06-12-2024 @ 10:57 PM
  In my experience, Flatheads like to run coolant temperatures that are about 100 degrees F above the outside ambient air temperatures.

Climbing long steep hills will make them run hotter. If under these conditions you experience coolant being pushed out of the radiator (boiling over), you can install an electric cooling fan on the back side of the radiator. You can remove the mechanical fan if you want and just mount and use the electric "puller" fan.

You can either keep an eye on the coolant temperature gauge and turn on the fan when needed or use a thermostatically controlled electric switch to operate the fan.

It is recommended that the cooling fan be mounted near the top of the radiator where the coolant is hottest and mounted to the frame of the radiator with metal brackets. A 14" diameter fan which includes the brackets is available from 5th Avenue Antique Auto Parts.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=17079