Topic: 8 volt battery

Davidmgray    -- 05-30-2024 @ 12:20 PM
  Purchased 1936 Cabriolet, and has a 8 volt battery, can I adjust the voltage regulator enough to charge 9.5 volts , or replace with the correct 6 volts?

Kens 36    -- 05-30-2024 @ 1:37 PM
  You are better off with the intended 6 volts, in my opinion.

Ken

Davidmgray    -- 05-30-2024 @ 3:17 PM
  Thanks Ken , I agree

woodiewagon46    -- 05-30-2024 @ 3:50 PM
  If all your wiring is good and all the connections are clean and tight, especially the ground's, you should have no problem with 6 volts.

kubes40    -- 05-30-2024 @ 5:48 PM
  An eight-volt battery is installed by someone that either doesn't know how to repair their car properly or is simply attempting to fix the car cheap and quick.
Please, rid yourself of that backyard band-aid "repair". Install a 6v battery and then go about figuring out why the last guy thought that 8v. was necessary.
Nearly always, it comes down to a PROPERLY rebuilt starter, PROPER battery cables (no, you do not need extra ground cables), proper, IE paint and grease free areas of ground contact.

One area often overlooked is the end of the starter and the adjacent area on the oil pan. Both of these surfaces were masked at the factory and as such were bare, providing a good grounding path.
Another area? The back of the generator bracket and adjacent area on the valve chamber cover (aka intake manifold).

One more thing to check... reproduction starter switches are nearly always very poor quality. You'd be wise to source a NOS button or a NORS button.

The threaded stud on the dash panel (aka firewall) was also masked along with about a diameter of approximately .750" of the sheet metal. Why? Difficult to get a good ground through paint.

Bottom line? All fairly easy and cheap things to fix correctly.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 5-30-24 @ 5:50 PM

same    -- 05-30-2024 @ 8:23 PM
  David,totaly agree with all the fellas on here about getting a new 6volt battery. a couple weeks ago i had to replace my battery. i got a duracell at batteries plus for $106.00. i'm still going with flooded lead acid batt. some are using oddysy spelling? sealed battery. where would a person get an 8volt battery these days anyway? Tom.

Robert/Texas    -- 05-31-2024 @ 7:29 AM
  I'm using Optima batteries in all of my old Fords. They last longer, require no maintenance and hold their charges for a long time. I'm going on 90 and removing floor boards and lifting heavy batteries is getting harder for me.

trjford8    -- 05-31-2024 @ 8:05 AM
  Go back to 6 volts. Make sure all your cables are good( no signs of corrosion, etc.) and you have good clean grounds. Install a 6 volt Optima battery and you are good to go.

GK1918    -- 06-01-2024 @ 7:03 AM
  8 volt batterys are sold mainly for golf carts that need 48 volts...

RAK402    -- 06-01-2024 @ 8:45 AM
  I could not agree more about putting a 6 volt battery back into the car.

I replaced my battery a few years ago with a repro stock battery. Although it looks like a flooded battery, there is an AGM battery inside.

wmsteed    -- 06-03-2024 @ 11:39 AM
  I was raised in Idaho, in the winter months it was very common for the temps to be 35 below zero. Battery's would freeze and/or the subzero temps would suck the life out of a battery which people with new EV's are finding out. There were two solutions in the good ole days, take the batter into a warm house or put a larger battery in the car, ie: an eight volt.
I used a 8v battery in my 36 Ford for several years until I moved to So Cal in 1956..

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

This message was edited by wmsteed on 6-3-24 @ 11:43 AM

ndnchf    -- 06-03-2024 @ 7:00 PM
  A 1936 does not have a voltage regulator. It uses a cutout. Current is regulated by the adjustable brush position. As others have said, return to a 6v battery.

wmsteed    -- 06-04-2024 @ 11:52 AM
  I upgraded my 36 to a 39 two brush generator and a voltage regulator in 1953, therefore no problem to increase the voltage t0 9+ volts. I also moved the battery to the trunk right behind the passenger side of the seat.
A battery located under the car, close to the road, was not a good thing on arural gravel roads.
Standard equipment in a car in the good ole days, '40/50's was a bar of IVORY SOAP, to fix a rock hole in the fuel tank.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=17061