Topic: Brake fluid

sarahcecelia    -- 05-28-2024 @ 12:01 PM
  I think I have told this story before on his forum; but back in 1963 I was aVW mechanic and older guy told me the brake cylinders rust and pit because brake fliud was a combo of Glycerine and Alcohol; alcohol was the vehicle; and glycerine was the lubricant; and alcohol is a "SPONGE to any mosture!"

That's why in later years brake fluid was changed to SILICONE.My question is; Should dot 3, or dot 5 be used in my 1950 Ford?I used to know but have long forgotten;and I am about to change all 4 wheel clinders, and want to flusk and replenish with the proper one.

Regards, Steve Lee

carcrazy    -- 05-28-2024 @ 2:22 PM
  Your car was originally equipped with DOT 3 brake fluid from the factory. DOT 3 would be the correct brake fluid to use if you are restoring the braking system. If you want to use a brake fluid with a slightly higher boiling point, you can use DOT 4. DOT 3 and DOT 4 are compatible with each other so you could use either without having to totally flush the system.

DOT 5 is not compatible with either DOT 3 or DOT 4. Do not introduce DOT 5 into a system which has previously used DOT 3 or DOT 4.

Drbrown    -- 05-31-2024 @ 8:48 AM
  I agree with carcrazy. I've also heard, but not verified, that DOT 5 can leak from the system more easily. To address moisture accumulation in the fluid, and for a relatively small cost, I have my '47 brake system drained and refilled every 2 or 3 years.

1934 Ford    -- 06-10-2024 @ 9:27 AM
  My Early Ford v8's all have mechanical brakes, not using any brake fluid.
My later collector cars use Dot 5. The 40 Ford Pickup has had Dot 5 for 40 years. My 81 El Camino has Dot 5
for 10 years.
#1 Drain the Dot 3.
#2 Blow out the lines,
#3 Rinse with alcohol and blow out the lines and master cylinder, fill with Dot 5.
Love it!
**I did it when I did a brake job and replaced all the wheel cylinders.

1934 Ford's since 1972

trjford8    -- 06-10-2024 @ 10:07 AM
  When I replace a brake system I always use Dot 5. Neve has a problem with it. This is one of those items that comes down to personal choice.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=17060