Topic: touchup paint

chasgray    -- 05-21-2024 @ 2:06 PM

Looking for a supplier recommendation for touchup paint for my 1953 F100. Thanks.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-21-2024 @ 3:24 PM
  touch up paint
did you try a local auto body supply store, they should be able to take a photo of your paint and be able to mix it, can do in spray cans, and touch up bottles and more if you need to
I am using CAR QUEST here in MAINE for this,
hope this helps, 37Ragtopman

sarahcecelia    -- 05-28-2024 @ 12:22 PM
  Sherwin Williams photoed a color in my 1972 buick Skylark, mixed it , paid about $25; went home, brushed it on (it left brush marks) it dried in about an hour or two- SMOOTH AS SATIN!!! ( it looked like it was sprayed!!!)And it MATCHED PERFECTLY!!!!!

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 05-28-2024 @ 4:27 PM
  Go to your nearest body shop paint supplier with the year and factory color that you want

Regards, Steve Lee

kubes40    -- 05-28-2024 @ 4:39 PM
  Chasgrey,
I would never consider buying touch up paint from any place BUT a local supplier that can match your car.
Find a reputable place in your area and if at all possible, bring them a small piece of the car. The cowl vent lid comes to mind.
If they have talent, they should be able to match it darn near perfectly.
Usually there is a minimum amount required, typically a half pint.
It isn't $25 anymore and hasn't been for 25 or more years. A half pint, custom mixed, probably closer to $75 or even a hundred.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Drbrown    -- 05-29-2024 @ 8:28 AM
  My '47 was stripped and repainted but I don't know what kind of paint was applied. It appears that one or more clear coats were applied. Does the type for existing paint affect the success of blending-in a repair paint ?

kubes40    -- 05-30-2024 @ 1:08 PM
  My biggest fear would be applying a non-compatible chemical to your existing paint.
So yes, there are serious considerations to factor in.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

CharlieStephens    -- 05-30-2024 @ 1:26 PM
  If you added your general location to your profile someone might suggest a local source that could mix to match your truck.

chasgray    -- 06-01-2024 @ 9:21 AM

Thanks everyone I have a plan!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=17054