Topic: 1936 survivor

jknopf10msncom    -- 05-21-2024 @ 12:37 PM
  I recently had to replaced some wires that burnt out, a short of some kind? Now when I turn the car off the AMP continues to show a charge. So of course it drains my battery so I have to unhook the battery cables. Recently drove it about 5miles unhooked the cable but still went too start it and no battery. Could it be the coil or alternator that was affected by the wiring problem? My mechanic retired so I am at a loss to find someone with knowledge on my old car.
Any information I would appreciate.
Thank You Judy

CharlieStephens    -- 05-21-2024 @ 3:28 PM
  Add your general location and your email to your profile and maybe someone could recommend a good electrical shop close to you. Any chance the battery cables were reversed? The 1936 Fords were originally positive ground but it is common to change this to negative ground when going to an alternator.

Charlie Stephens

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-21-2024 @ 3:42 PM
  I am asumming this is a original car
make sure the battery is in correctly, the POS is the GROUND,
what wires did you replace ???
did you have burnt wires, what were they attached,too ???
looking for the short or drain,

I would charge the battery, with cable off, now connect a test light to the ground side,
on the cable and one on the battery, in between the two [ this is the simple test light ]
every auto parts store sell these, looks ilke a ice pick with a wire on one end with a clip to attach to the cable
if it lights up you have a battery drain,
now disconect one wire at a time,
if the light goes out, you found the drain,
I would start with the generator cutout, then the starter switch, then the starter.
you might have short in the lights, make sure you have a 30 amp in place
it would be nice if we had more information,
get back to us with the results
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN, Maine,
a test light can be made with a working auto bulb, if you can solder a wires to both contacts

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 5-21-24 @ 3:45 PM

40 Coupe    -- 05-22-2024 @ 5:03 AM
  The generator cutout is supposed to disconnect the generator from the battery when the car is not running. Suggest when you stop disconnect the wire from the output of the cutout, if that corrects your battery drain by looking at the ammeter then the cutout needs to be replaced or repaired since the internal relay contacts may have welded themself together.
With your problem the ammeter should show a battery discharge, when the vehicle is not running, not a charge. If it is showing a charge the wire through the ammeter is going through in the wrong direction.

jknopf10msncom    -- 05-25-2024 @ 12:40 PM
  My email is jknopf10@msn.com and I live in Des Moines,Iowa.

The battery was put in wrong P-P. I did switch it when I found it was in backwards. I didn't notice any problems until I saw the burnt wired an realized I had no headlights and found the drain on the battery. The shop I took it too wasn't knowledgeable. When I picked it up the lights were working but the AMP problem was not fixed also he turned the battery around & hooked up P-P...ugh.
I will try the test lite also someone mentioned a generator cutout. I have no idea what that is or where to locate it?
I looked with no luck to find a business that could help.
Thank you to everyone for responding to my post and any other ideas.
Judy

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-25-2024 @ 3:25 PM
  hi Judy
TAKE a few photos., like they say PHOTO is worth a 1000 words,
maybe we can point out, some of the things you need to know,
hope this helps 37Ragtopman

TomO    -- 05-25-2024 @ 6:28 PM
  On the left side of this page you will see "Regional Club Directory" click on that and then Iowa to see the 2 Regional Clubs in Iowa. Contact the one closest to you and ask if they know of a member that lives near you that might help out with information about a mechanic near you.

The generator cutout is mounted on top of the generator. The generator is the big round thing that the fan is attached to. The cutout is a small round thing. Here is a catalog photo of a cutout.
https://www.dennis-carpenter.com/tractors/electrical/starter-amp-generator/9n-10505-generator-cut-out

Tom

jknopf10msncom    -- 05-27-2024 @ 11:59 AM
  Thank you to everyone that responded to the problems I was having with my 36 ford.
I did figure out what and where the generator cut out is and think that may be my problem.
I have ordered a new one and fingers crossed it solves the problem.

jknopf10msncom    -- 06-13-2024 @ 11:04 AM
  Thank you to several who responded and helped with a problem on my 36 ford.
It was suggestion to replace the generator cut-out.
I found the part for $40 a bargain since it was causing the problem and I was able to fix it myself and was looking at paying $160 an hour.

I can now drive with out unhooking the battery cables !!!!!

Thanks Judy

flatfoot    -- 06-19-2024 @ 3:04 PM
  For your info there is a co\mpany that makes 6 volt alternator. I gor one for my '36 Ford 4dr Touring Sedan, and it works great. No more trickle charge.
You might want to look into this as an alternative. It looks like an original generator.

This message was edited by flatfoot on 6-19-24 @ 3:05 PM

wmsteed    -- 06-22-2024 @ 7:52 AM
  Judy; I would suggest that you add a couple of pix of the engine compartment.
You have a very nice looking car, however. the hub caps and trim rings tell me the car has been modified to some degree.
A painted grille with a chrome windshield frame tells me that the car is not stock.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

wmsteed    -- 06-22-2024 @ 8:29 AM
  A side bar to my earlier contribution: It is not my intent to be picky about your car, it is a grate looking car, I am just trying to help you understand what you have.
I have attached a couple of pix of my car, which I have owned for 72 years, bought it from the original owner in September 1952.
Your car is an early car, it has straight door handles similar to a '35, In January of '36 Ford went to a rounded handle which carried through '37.
The horn grilles on the front fenders appear to be painted body color in lieu of stainless steel.
I would suggest that you purchase the 1935-36 Ford Book from the EFV8 Club. This book won't help you with repairs, but it will show you what things are supposed to look like.
My car has been upgraded extensively with later model mechanical parts to keep the car running and make it more user friendly, however. it has pnly been repainted once, in 1962 , all of the upholstery, trim and accessories are original to the car.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=17053