Topic: 1934 Fordor roof covering

dialindicator    -- 05-12-2024 @ 4:24 PM
  Can anyone explain how a 1934 sedan roof is assembled. Can I safely pry up the upper metal strip? What holds it in position? There is a fibrous material in the center of it, what is its purpose? I want to replace the roof material as it was originally done but need more information to know how it is put together. Thanks

Bruce Aldo
Prescott, AZ
pine339@gmail.com

40 Coupe    -- 05-13-2024 @ 5:31 AM
  Be careful with the metal trim. If possible remove all the attachment especially at the corners. Under the metal trim is the top material then a pad and under the pad is chicken wire. The chicken wire rest on the wood bows that are above the interior headliner.

dialindicator    -- 05-13-2024 @ 9:06 AM
  40 Coupe, I will dig out the material in groove of the top metal trim to see what holds it on. Thanks for the reply.

Newoldstock    -- 05-15-2024 @ 7:15 AM
  The center material in the metal trim should be a rubber strip that covers the metal tacks that were originally hammered thru into the steel top. Someone may have used some sort of putty to fill the gap, but there should be a rubber seal, which can be bought today to replace the original one.

The tacks were driven through holes in the top trim piece every inch or so....lot's of tacks! Be careful prying up that top trim piece. There's no one making a new one. You'll have to reuse the one you have. Mine has some rust pits in one of the corners, I'm going to have to use something like All Steel to fill in the pits to make it smooth again once I sand blast it.

I've been told to use #3 flat head bolts/nuts when replacing the trim piece. Try to line up the holes from the tacks to replace with the small bolts, you don't want to drill new holes since so many are already in the roof gutter. Besides having the chicken wire on the roof ribs, with some kind of padding layered on it, you slightly stretch the vinyl roof material under the trim piece before installing the bolts. I've heard of some guys making a square frame (much like what Grandma had when she made quilts) to keep the roof vinyl slightly pulled. From what I've been told, some sort of sealer should be used under the trim piece to make a water tight seal when it's scr*w*d down.

This message was edited by Newoldstock on 5-15-24 @ 8:00 AM

3w2    -- 05-15-2024 @ 4:26 PM
  Those long tacks shown in your first photo are a post-production addition. None of the original tacks were that long and none penetrated the sheet metal of the roof.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=17042