Topic: 8ba into a 35 ford coupe

wlzemke    -- 05-11-2024 @ 8:06 AM
  I am installing an 8ba into a 35 ford coupe. I am in my late 70's and fairly new to the flathead issues. I know many of you are tired of answering the same questions from us rookies but here is what I have found out so far. I have the engine in using the correct transmission and motor mounts. What i am noticing right away is there is no room for the fan, the pan is hitting the shorter steering arm attached to the sector shaft and the headers I have hit the steering box. I was wondering if I could drop down the tie rod end for clearance and if I will need to go to an electric fan. I don't know if there is a header that will fit or if I will need to modify my existing one. Thank you for not getting frustrated by answering the same questions over and over. Bill

1940 Tom    -- 05-11-2024 @ 8:49 AM
  Good morning, Bill--

I, personally, won't be much help to you, as I own a 40. BUT - rest assured that there are lots of 35 owners that can assist you.

Don't worry about frustration with going over the same info again and again. We have all been there and the repeated info does help you, even if you saw it before. I know it helps me.

Back in the early Stone Age (Pebble Age?), my grammar schoolteacher told me "Tom, there is no such thing as a dumb question".

Ask away. Somebody's out there to help you.

Good Luck.

Tom

carcrazy    -- 05-11-2024 @ 2:59 PM
  It looks like you have room to mount an electric cooling fan on the engine side of the radiator. The upper third portion of the radiator would be the ideal location to obtain best cooling performance.

Fifth Avenue Antique Auto Parts offers 14" diameter electric cooling fans as either 6V or 12V units. They come with metal brackets so you can mount them rigidly to the radiator frame. Their phone number is (785) 632-3450.

For the pan hitting the steering arm problem, how severe is the interference? If it is not too great, you may be able to just dent the bottom of the pan to gain sufficient clearance. If this won't provide enough clearance, contact Speedway Motors at (800) 979-0122 to see if they offer spacers and/or dropped steering arms to provide the required clearance.

For the header hitting the steering box, if the interference is too great to be handled by some minor modification to your current header, contact Red's Headers at (760) 343-2590 to see if they know which of their many header products will work for your combination of engine, chassis and steering box.

wlzemke    -- 05-11-2024 @ 5:02 PM
  Thanks for all the good suggestions. I am going to see if I can find a 2 in. offset pitman arm. Speedway has some but I will not be able to the technical info until Monday. it is pretty tight on the engine side of the radiator. I was thinking of putting it on the grille side?

carcrazy    -- 05-11-2024 @ 8:15 PM
  You can mount the electric fan on the front of the radiator as a "pusher" but the cooling will not be as effective. For best results mount a "puller" fan as close to the top of the radiator where the water is hottest

mfirth    -- 05-12-2024 @ 4:53 AM
  Bill, you may want to post this on "The Ford Barn" too. Lots of info there too.

CharlieStephens    -- 05-12-2024 @ 6:20 AM
  Also post on HAMB, https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/. If I remember correctly there are a few details to work out but I didn't pay that much attention since I wasn't doing it myself.

Charlie Stephens

51504bat    -- 05-12-2024 @ 6:35 AM
  A rear sump truck pan might help with your clearance issues. That is what is on the 8ba in my '39 p/u.

wlzemke    -- 05-12-2024 @ 7:21 AM
  Thanks I will see if I have room.

wlzemke    -- 05-12-2024 @ 7:24 AM
  I have a rear sump now ,but that was a good idea. If you go from a front sump to a fear does the oil pump pickup swing around?

ford38v8    -- 05-12-2024 @ 10:42 AM
  Your questions are good, but good answers are out of my league as I’ve not done that transplant. I do know that there are good solutions that don’t require electric fans. I think you’ll need to go with a short cam and helmet distributor, an intake mounted fan, different water pumps and oil pan. While you’re at it, consider using a ‘37-‘39 steering box for improved handling. I have a few years on you, and envy your apparent agility and confidence in tackling this project. Good luck and don’t get stalled or you’ll soon be my age!

Alan

wlzemke    -- 05-12-2024 @ 1:06 PM
  Thanks Alan! For now I think I will go with an electric fan. I only have about 1 1/2 in. from the fan to the generator. I might have to take my chances with a pusher on the outside of the radiator.

51504bat    -- 05-12-2024 @ 3:08 PM
  Oil pump pick ups are different. You'll need the 8rt truck pick up if you use the truck pan

pauls39coupe    -- 05-12-2024 @ 5:24 PM
  From the photo it looks like you have a center sump oil pan. A truck pan or early Merc pan would move the sump to the rear. You will need the correct oil pump pickup for that pan.
There is a cast iron header ( police option) that may clear your steering box. I believe Red's also has some tube headers that move the outlet toward the front.
Can you post a photo of the drivers side area showing the steering? It may give us some more ideas about how to help.
Please keep us posted.
Also keep the fan on the inside, mounting them up front restricts the air flow at speed.

This message was edited by pauls39coupe on 5-12-24 @ 5:28 PM

wlzemke    -- 05-12-2024 @ 7:23 PM
  Really good input! I will do some more in-depth checking tomorrow. I would really like to put the fan on the inside but not sure I have the room. I will check on the cast exhaust manifold. Thanks again. Bill

wlzemke    -- 05-13-2024 @ 6:21 PM
  I have another strange question. How do you know when your engine in the front is sitting at the right height? I have the biscuit style mounts so I can shim them to whatever height would be best. I put a level on the carb mount of the intake manifold and got it pretty level ,but the engine itself is tipped back somewhat. Any suggestions other than get a life!

wlzemke    -- 05-13-2024 @ 6:33 PM
  I also noticed that the two water pumps have two different pulley diameters. What is the reason for this?

carcrazy    -- 05-13-2024 @ 8:08 PM
  The answers to your two most recent questions are:

To determine the correct angle, front to back, for your engine, place a level or angle finder on the carburetor mounting flange surface on the top of your intake manifold. When the angle finder reads "0" degrees, you will have your engine at the proper angle.

The water pump pulleys are different sizes because the drive pulleys for them are of different diameters. To keep the water pump speeds the same, the pulleys are sized appropriately.

wlzemke    -- 05-13-2024 @ 8:28 PM
  Thanks very much! If I were to use one belt and drive both pumps and the generator off the crank, I should try to use the same size pullies on the pumps?

carcrazy    -- 05-13-2024 @ 8:37 PM
  Yes. Using the same pulleys for both pumps would be required so both pulley sheaves would be in the same plane as the drive pulley on the crankshaft. This would allow the belt to travel in only one plane which will maintain proper belt life. Some modifications or adjustments may be required to get both pump driven pulleys in the same plane as the crank drive pulley.

wlzemke    -- 05-13-2024 @ 8:40 PM
  I was mistaken. I do have a center sump, your assumption was correct . Now that I have raised the front of the engine up I may be able to heat the pitman arm up and bend it slightly, to get a little more clearance to the pan. If that doesn't work i will look for a rear sump. I know where their is one and I pickup but they are a little spendy.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=17039