Topic: Changing locks

lightflyer1    -- 05-01-2024 @ 1:57 PM
  Been awhile since I was here and now need some help. Seemed to have lost or misplaced my key and now can't find it. Ordered new locks and keys but need help/instructions on replacing them. Instructions would be good and someone local even better to guide/help me with this. In the Austin Texas area. Is there a post already here on this? 1935 Ford Model 48 fordor Deluxe.

ford38v8    -- 05-01-2024 @ 8:53 PM
  There’s a slotted screw inside a small hole in the edge of the door. This is a set screw holding the lock cylinder in place. It must be removed before the lock will come out. After these past 89 years since your Ford left the assembly line, you will most definitely find that screw to be very solidly rusted in place. Good luck.

Alan

40 Coupe    -- 05-02-2024 @ 5:13 AM
  If you can get the door cylinder out and it is original to the car and the ignition cylinder is original both will be keyed alike. The door cylinder will have a key code stamped into the side of the cylinder. With that code you can have another key made. Suggest going over to the fordbarn.com and contact Phil.

51504bat    -- 05-02-2024 @ 6:11 AM
  32phil on the Ford Barn

lightflyer1    -- 05-03-2024 @ 2:40 PM
  Thank you for the info. Someone told me about this screw but said not to remove it. Just loosen it till the cylinder comes out. The car was fully restored so no rust at all. And I don't believe the door lock and the ignition switch are keyed the same.

40 Coupe    -- 05-04-2024 @ 7:17 AM
  Look under the column and the ignition lock cylinder, the cylinder may be held into the column drop by a set screw. If so remove the set screw and the ignition cylinder should be able to be removed. It will also have a key code stamped into the side of the cylinder.

trjford8    -- 05-04-2024 @ 7:26 AM
  When you have new keys made make sure you make a second set.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=17029