Topic: Holly carburetor

DK    -- 08-12-2010 @ 7:14 PM
  I have a chance to purchase a new holly 94 carb for my 36 ford. It's probably 50 yrs. old at least without being used. Before I consider it should I plan to rebuild it? I'm presently using a stromberg 97 that loses some gas overnight. What are the symptoms of a carburetor that isn't operating efficiently? Thanks for your help.

ford38v8    -- 08-12-2010 @ 8:59 PM
  DK, It really sounds to me that you are ripe for pickin'. You should know that your "chance" to buy this carburetor surely comes after many others have declined the "offer". Beware what sounds too good to be true.

Beyond all that, You should consider only the following models:

1- Chandler Groves on the passenger side, with or without a model number on the drivers side.

2- Ford on the passenger side, with 91-99; 21A; or 59 on the drivers side, with the 91-99 being the one of choice due to its controls, or the 59 due to its internal vent. Controls can be changed, so for your purposes, the 59 is best and most available.

No others would be compatible with your needs.

Yes, you should have it worked on, not rebuilt per se, but only to ensure that its power valve and needle valve are modern (methanol) fuel resistant for todays needs.

I'm sure you must know that only the Stromberg is correct for your car, and should be worth at least as much as any 94.

Alan

40 Coupe    -- 08-13-2010 @ 5:18 AM
  if your stromberg has the 67 markings on the top and bottom don`t change. If it is leaking it can be repaired except for cracks. It is a good carb. as is a 94 but you will probbly have the 94 rebuilt anyway and it is not the original carb for your car. The 94 may not have the proper linkage connections such as for the choke.

DK    -- 08-13-2010 @ 10:13 AM
  Alan, I think I'll keep using the Stromberg carb. The only reason I considered trying another carb. is that my 36 is hard to start after it sits awhile. It should run a little smoother,although seems to run good when on the road. Presently using a modern (tube) coil. Skip is reworking the original. It may be the fuel pump. I didn't replace the push rod when the fuel pump was changed. Thanks for your comments. p.s. I know for a fact the holly is a new unused one.

supereal    -- 08-15-2010 @ 1:57 PM
  Much, if not most, of the NOS stuff offered will have to be rebuilt, anyway, particularly fuel system items. Much of these parts were, in fact, obtained from closed dealers and many times were just put back in the box when a new car needed a replacement. NOS often just means that the price is high.

TomO    -- 08-15-2010 @ 2:21 PM
  I suspect that you may be running rich at idle and flooding after you shut down the engine. Look at your spark plugs, they will tell the story.

http://www.spark-plugs.co.uk/pages/technical/diagnosis.htm

Tom

ford38v8    -- 08-15-2010 @ 9:19 PM
  Super, that's a pretty good idea of how things happen in the real world. Dealers are sent items from the assembly lines that would have required some tweaking to work as designed. For instance, I got an NOS radiator that had one mount bumped, which couldn't be straightened for fear of breaking a tank solder joint. Perfectly good, but not for the assembly line. Dealers get them and also put them aside, so now we buy them and have to do the fine tuning.

Alan

Stroker    -- 08-16-2010 @ 3:45 PM
  As you've observed, Super has it right! My experience has been that parts off of shelves may be on the shelves for a reason. Carbs are a classic example. If one didn't work right, it got returned, and because there was no externally apparent "defect", it would simply be re-stocked. The carb may not have had a correctly drilled passage, or some other crippling malady, but there is no way of telling what issues it might have without a complete disassembly. Back on the shelf it went, and at some point, would be offered as a New, Old Stock (NOS) "rare jewel".

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1702