Topic: License Plate Restoration

BigBlockFord    -- 08-12-2010 @ 6:05 PM
  Anyone in the Northeast that restores old license plates?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-13-2010 @ 6:15 AM
  Try HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS , there are a few people in there with this service,
what state are you looking for, you might find a set of original's that do not need a restoration,
I have a few of originals, that are in nice shape,
post a want of what you are trying to do,
KEEP ON TRUCKIN, 37RAGTOPMAN

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 8-13-10 @ 6:21 AM

42wagon    -- 08-13-2010 @ 6:48 AM
  I am assuming you want to run the vehicle with Year Of Manufacture license plates. Check with your DMV before altering the plates. Some states will not accept repainted plates.

supereal    -- 08-13-2010 @ 12:18 PM
  Here, in Iowa, we can run year of manufacture plates if we keep the "real" plates in the car to display if cops want to see them. This was enacted several years ago. Previously, the law required all plates to have a combination of numbers and letters, as only "official" plates could be all numbers. Our DMV has been very old car friendly and helpful. Restoring old plates isn't difficult. For ours, we stripped them, dinged out any dents, then painted them the authentic background color, then carefully repainted the raised numbers with a good brush. I paid ten bucks for a set of plates in fairly good shape, which is a whole lot better than the prices quoted for "restored" plates, and they look fine, probably better than new.

Geoffrey    -- 08-22-2010 @ 8:48 PM
  Here's a friend of mine in New York who can help you. His specialty is New York license plates, but he might be able to help you if you need another state done. Email him...I told him about your request, so he's expecting your email.. montemack@verizon.net

leo    -- 08-22-2010 @ 8:58 PM
  Hello,I do NY Plates if that is what you need done.I'm also a V-8er member in New York. Montemack@verizon.net

This message was edited by leo on 8-22-10 @ 8:58 PM

1934 Ford    -- 08-23-2010 @ 12:19 AM
  I used to do it the same way Supereal does. Then I discovered a lot easier way.
Paint the whole plate the number color first. Then spray the background color and take a rag with thinner and wipe of the raised numbers and State letters before it dries.
This way you'll get cleaner straighter edges and and better looking finished lettering.

supereal    -- 08-23-2010 @ 9:35 AM
  My Y-O-M plates had a white background, so I had to do the letters separately, but your way would certainly be simpler if you started with a dark background.

1934 Ford    -- 08-23-2010 @ 2:54 PM
  The last one I did was a Y-O-M 1934 North Carolina. A black tag with raised yellow letters and numbers
#1 I painted the yellow # color on the whole tag.
#2 I let it dry well
#3 I sprayed it all black and wiped off the numbers and letters with a cloth and thinner. Got a better result with my finger inside an old T-shirt than I ever did with a brush finish. I guess my finger does a straighter line than my brush, and the sprayed letters look better too.

ctfordguy    -- 08-31-2010 @ 6:58 AM
  Hi34Ford,
Sorry if this may seem elementary BUT....what type of paint did you use in each step? Lacquer or enamel?
Thanks,
Bruce

1934 Ford    -- 08-31-2010 @ 9:22 AM
  Bruce,
I use acrylic enamel for the slick finish.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1701