Topic: 39 ford vin # on frame?

Gary M.    -- 10-20-2009 @ 4:04 PM
  They say that the numbers are stamped into the frame near the steering gear but I dont see them. And where is the engine number? Is it visible without pulling the engine? Thanks..

42wagon    -- 10-20-2009 @ 4:36 PM
  Gary
You should find the number on the top of the left frame rail somewhere between the radiator and the firewall. On my 42 it is next to the front cross member. The number may be very lightly stamped and there may be a buildup of paint, rust, crud, and grease. Be careful looking for it as it may be easily destroyed.

The engine number is stamped on the top of the transmission case just above the little door for inspecting the clutch. You don't need to remove the engine to find it but you will need to remove the floor mat and floor board.
Ted

old1936ford    -- 10-20-2009 @ 5:42 PM
  Gary,
I the # on my 36 is on the frame 6 or 8 inches before the firewall. Had to LIGHTLY sand paint & crud away to find it.
Good luck!

Joe

Gary M.    -- 10-20-2009 @ 6:13 PM
  Thanks guys...

Gary M.    -- 10-21-2009 @ 4:39 PM
  I cleaned all the old grease and paint off the whole top rail from the fire wall to the radiator and I still dont see a serial number. Is there a very specific spot that I should be looking on a 39 Tudor Standard? The metal is not pitted and has been protected by a layer of grease for all these years. It is very smooth and I doubt it was ever grinded. Thanks...

40guy    -- 10-21-2009 @ 5:09 PM
  If you keep cleaning the number will doubtless appear. They don't appear easy though. You may have to go all the way to metal and use a bright light to search. Mine was at the front crossmember. Also; if if you ever remove the body, the # will be in at least one more location.

42wagon    -- 10-22-2009 @ 3:17 AM
  Gary
This isn't a very good picture but should give you some idea of what you are looking for. Note that in this case the number is next to the front cross member.

Gary M.    -- 10-24-2009 @ 6:57 AM
  Thanks to that picture I was able to finally locate the numbers. According to the Ford book,my car was built in December of 1938.One of these days I will get around to checking the engine number,although it appears that this engine was never removed- not even to replace the clutch. Thanks again for your help...

TomO    -- 10-24-2009 @ 8:44 AM
  The engine number should be the same as the number stamped on the frame.

Tom

Gary M.    -- 10-24-2009 @ 11:47 AM
  What if the number on the engine is different than the frame,does that mean the engine was changed or could there have been a mixup at the factory?

39 Ken    -- 10-24-2009 @ 12:09 PM
  Engine number is somewhat of a misnomer. All the engines back in the day were built at the Rouge and coupled with a transmission. At that time a number was applied to the flat above the clutch inspection plate on the transmission housing. That number was applied manually onto the frame as the engine/trans was installed on the frame. Numbers were not stamped on the engine as it was assumed that at sometime in the cars life, the engine would be overhauled. Ford had a program whereby they had a number of overhauled engines and they were simply swapped into a car and the old engine went to an overhaul facility, to be used in another car later. This way the same number that was stamped on the trans housing stayed with the car and the numbers matched. Of course, if the trans was swapped out for a used trans then the number would not match the frame.

TomO    -- 10-24-2009 @ 6:23 PM
  The serial number is only stamped on the chassis and the transmission, allowing the engine to be changed without re regbistering the number with the state.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=170