Topic: 6 V electronic ignition

slasher    -- 04-05-2024 @ 2:03 PM
  6 V electronic ignitionShould I replace the original points or should I go to electronic distributor or a Protonix unit thank you

carcrazy    -- 04-05-2024 @ 3:43 PM
  If it were mine, I would replace the points with new ones set up properly, use a coil adapter to allow use of a modern internal resisted coil, and use a new 6V coil from Fifth Avenue, www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com. These folks prepare the old Fords and other historic vehicles to take part in the Interstate Batteries Great American Race where the cars are driven cross-country.

If you are like me, you want to be able to drive your old car anywhere reliably.

This message was edited by carcrazy on 4-5-24 @ 4:08 PM

slasher    -- 04-05-2024 @ 6:59 PM
  Thank you

kubes40    -- 04-06-2024 @ 6:52 AM
  NO on the Pentronix. Way too many performance issues.
Yes, on the original distributor and coil. PROPERLY rebuilt, these are VERY dependable units.
It appears your "new" car is fairly close to stock. Why not keep it that way?

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

dean333    -- 04-06-2024 @ 8:40 AM
  Beautiful car as I said in your original post. If you ever want to sell, please let me know. Thanks.

TIM CARLIG

1931 Flamingo    -- 04-06-2024 @ 8:58 AM
  I've had electronic ign in my 40 for a few years now with no problems. Recommended by a worldwide flathead engine rebuilder.
Paul in CT

JayChicago    -- 04-06-2024 @ 9:01 AM
  Don’t go there! No first hand experience, but have read that the 6 volt Petronix is prone to sudden failure. (maybe due to voltage spikes coming out of a generator vs. alternators?) You would also need to use non-correct spiral-wound spark plug wires.

I agree with everything said by Kube. We are lucky to have some excellent rebuiders still working. For about $300, your ignition system will be good-to-go for years.

slasher    -- 04-06-2024 @ 10:04 AM
  Thank you very much I am keeping it original.

kubes40    -- 04-06-2024 @ 4:25 PM
  George Haney for the coil rebuild. Quick, reasonable and great craftsmanship.
Charlie Schwendler for the distributor. Another great guy that is quick, reasonable and offers great workmanship.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

51woodie    -- 04-08-2024 @ 3:55 AM
  George did the coil, Charlie did the carb and pump for the 59AB in my '46 Coupe, and the engine starts hot or cold, no "vapor lock". When Charlie did my carb, he found that some previous owner had drilled the main jets oversize, which I would never have found, had I rebuilt the carb myself. I would have just believed the number in the jet. He alaso ran my carb and pump on his test engine before returning them to me. Now my plug color is a light tan, not charcoal.

This message was edited by 51woodie on 4-8-24 @ 4:03 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16980