Topic: Radiator mounting

carpguy    -- 08-12-2010 @ 10:34 AM
  Morning All,
Well back to working on my '37 pick-up.Wanted to mount radiator and saw there was a spring that went with the set up. What is the purpose for the spring? I looked at other years and they also have it. What is the correct insulation, how tight? When I took it apart there was no spring. Thanks for any help.
Gary

37 Coupe    -- 08-12-2010 @ 12:13 PM
  I guess the spring is to allow flexability kinda like the fuel tank spring. These allow the radiator and fuel tank to not become additional "crossmembers" and flex around possibly opening up a seam or cracking. Anyway if the pickup is like passenger car the radiator spring is placed on bolt and goes downward,hex head facing up,padding under or between radiator to frame and nut and cotter pin on the nut under frame.Think the frame radiator hole on pickup is pair closest to front to allow clearance with double pulley pumps.

This message was edited by 37 Coupe on 8-12-10 @ 12:14 PM

carpguy    -- 08-12-2010 @ 12:44 PM
  Thank you Mr.37,
That's what I kind of thought, but now about those mounting holes. There are two sets of holes on each frame rail, when I took radiator out it was mounted on the two front ones. Since I have only one pulley do you think I can mount the radiator on the two back ones or should I but it back how it came out? Thanks
Gary

37 Coupe    -- 08-12-2010 @ 2:52 PM
  Put it back the way it came out,mayby it allows for the double pulleys but definitely designed for front hole placement. If it is like passenger car front end everything will have to align with correct radiator placement,front fenders,hood.etc.

supereal    -- 08-12-2010 @ 4:52 PM
  For efficiency, the radiator should be mounted as close to the fan as the holes permit.

ford38v8    -- 08-12-2010 @ 9:12 PM
  Carpguy, Both the previous responses are correct, but to confirm which is "more" correct, use the side panels to guage where the radiator originally mounted, as the side panels must fasten to the top of the radiator's side frame.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1698