Topic: No spark

Catfish Jones    -- 03-13-2024 @ 6:48 PM
  Good evening all
This concerns an all original 1938 Ford four door deluxe with original motor.
I had Mr Charlie Schwendler rebuild my distributor, carburetor and fuel pump. He also helped me get a rebuild able coil rewound. He was awesome helping me getting everything rebuilt.
Once all parts were installed it ran perfect. Recently it has sat for about 6 weeks with no starts. It now has no spark. Any ideas??

trjford8    -- 03-14-2024 @ 7:51 AM
  Have you checked your battery to see if it is putting out a full 6 volts? did you check for a loose wire to the distributor? did you check to see if the ignition/coil resistor is working properly?

This message was edited by trjford8 on 3-14-24 @ 7:53 AM

JayChicago    -- 03-14-2024 @ 8:53 AM
  To check the ignition/coil resistor:
Measure voltage being delivered to the coil, on the post that has the incoming wire attached. Set up your voltmeter, black probe to coil and red to the block, then turn-on the ignition switch and read voltage. Then turn-off switch right away. (maximum current flowing while engine stopped, is hard on the coil)

With a fully charged battery, voltage to the coil should be about 3.5 volts.

If reading 6 volts, the engine happened to stop with points open, so is just reading battery voltage. Bump the starter one time to get points closed, then take the reading.

carcrazy    -- 03-14-2024 @ 8:40 PM
  It could just be that one of the connections in the primary ignition circuit has come loose.

Catfish Jones    -- 03-15-2024 @ 6:44 AM
  Thanks for all of the info guys!
I’ll check these recommendations my next day off.

Catfish Jones    -- 03-16-2024 @ 10:31 AM
  Good afternoon all.
It was the ignition resistor burnt open.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a quality USA made replacement?
This is for an all original 1938 Fordor Deluxe Ford.
Thanks

carcrazy    -- 03-16-2024 @ 12:41 PM
  Dennis Carpenter has this one in stock that may work for you.

https://www.dennis-carpenter.com/trucks/engine/ignition-amp-timing/18-12250-ignition-coil-resistor-origin

1942deluxe    -- 03-16-2024 @ 1:23 PM
  Third Gen in TN. also has them and are made in the USA, Carpenters may be also.

Catfish Jones    -- 03-17-2024 @ 7:29 AM
  Thanks very much!

40 Coupe    -- 03-17-2024 @ 9:00 AM
  The resistor does get very hot but unusual to see one burned in half. Suggest you check the resistance of the ignition circuit to see if there is a short in the circuit before burning another resistor. The ignition circuit does not have a fuse.

Catfish Jones    -- 03-20-2024 @ 5:55 AM
  Will do 40 Coupe, thanks!

Drbrown    -- 03-20-2024 @ 8:28 AM
  Remark: High amperage inside the passenger cab and especially within the congressed dash wiring area is dangerous. One does not want to go swing tools around in there. I had a short there but luckily found it before it cause harm. I also installed a fuse on the ignition circuit. I'd rather have the fuse act-up than otherwise.

Catfish Jones    -- 03-20-2024 @ 6:45 PM
  Thanks for the input Drbrown.
I did disconnect the battery before getting under the dash to remove the bad resistor.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16947