Topic: 36 ford steering box change

arne    -- 02-11-2024 @ 4:26 PM
  will a vega steering box work on my 36 ford coupe

ford38v8    -- 02-11-2024 @ 10:49 PM
  I cannot answer that question, but the improvement you seek can be had with a simple replacement of your '36 box with a '37-'39 box, which is a bolt-in after re-drilling the '36 mounting bracket, or by using the '37 bracket. My ford is a '38, so my advice will, I'm sure, be expanded upon by those who have done the job.

Alan

juergen    -- 02-12-2024 @ 7:37 AM
  Yes, but there are a lot of changes needed. You need to get a steering shaft to mate with the Vega box, usually with a rag joint and somehow stabilize the lower part of the steering column. Then you need some way to replace the horn actuation and replace the light switch wiring including adding a dimmer switch. I forgot what was needed for the pitman arm.

carcrazy    -- 02-12-2024 @ 9:33 AM
  If you are willing to do the work required to install a Vega steering box, you might as well use a Unisteer Rack & Pinion steering system instead. The Unisteer system uses a box which mounts to the left side frame rail and transfers the steering motion to the right side steering arm. This is a cross steer system. If you can be happy with manual steering, this is the way to go. Speedway Motors is one source for the Unisteer Rack & Pinion unit and the steering rod and U-Joint(s) required to install it.

wmsteed    -- 02-12-2024 @ 10:01 AM
  A 37-39, and/or a '40 if you eliminate the column mounted light switch in favor of more modern dash mounted units.
The 37-39-40 gear box is like adding power steering with the worm/roller compared to the earlier worm and sector.
One big factor against the Vega gear is cutting the Ford column shaft to utilize a universal joint between Ford and GM and a system to secure the cut-off Ford column to the cowl, then the electrical problems and steering linkage add to the problems.
In the end why not update the whole thing with a modern aftermarket front clip from TCI, etc.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

carcrazy    -- 02-12-2024 @ 2:20 PM
  Here is the UniSteer steering box and mount for a 1935 Ford.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Unisteer-Cross-Steer-Rack-Pinion-for-1935-40-Ford,88039.html

arne    -- 02-13-2024 @ 11:38 AM
  thanks may go this way Arne Norgard

1934 Ford    -- 03-05-2024 @ 6:25 PM
  I ho[e yo keep the steering in the Ford Family.
Winsteed was right when he said "The 37-39-40 gear box is like adding power steering with the worm/roller
compared to the earlier worm and sector."
I used a 47 Mercury box in my 35, had to shorten the column and changed the mounting bracket on the frame with
a blue wrench. But it steers like power steering unlike my 34 with the original box. And it's still 100% Ford.
Vega sounds like a dirty word!

1934 Ford's since 1972

trjford8    -- 03-06-2024 @ 8:01 AM
  Depending on your car I would not use the Vega box. If your car is stock I would opt to use the 37-39 steering gear. Your project would be much simpler.

CharlieStephens    -- 03-06-2024 @ 11:14 AM
  I would use the '37 to '39 Ford box. Guys that go this route seem to have good luck. The box is better since in 1937 Ford went to bearings on the sector shaft. If you are interested in the Vega box go to HAMB (https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forums/the-hokey-ass-message-board.5/) and search for Vega by clicking on the magnifying glass near the top of the page. I think I remember reading bad comments about some or all of the Vega boxes.

Charlie Stephens

Larry Lange    -- 03-07-2024 @ 10:45 AM
  Let me add to what others have said: switch to the '37 - '40 Ford steering box! I did it in my '36 cabriolet by locating a '41 Ford steering frame bracket, which exactly accommodates the updated steering box once you secure the bracket to the frame. From there, I used the pitman arm I had on the '36 box and everything lined up. The difference in steering ease was wonderful. I learned this trick many years ago when I did it on my first car, a '35 Ford sedan. Check it out, but, as I recall, the steering boxes, the worm, and the sector were the same from '37 up to the mid-50s; only the central shaft length was different.

Larry Lange    -- 03-08-2024 @ 9:55 AM

This message was edited by Larry Lange on 3-8-24 @ 9:58 AM

phils36    -- 03-14-2024 @ 10:54 AM
  I recently bought my late grandpas 36 5 window coupe and the steering is a nightmare. I'm new to the scene and have kind of a dumb question - when my grandpa restored this car, he was big on keeping everything original. In the eyes of the community, does upgrading the steering to the 37-39 take away from that? Or is keeping it ford good enough?

ford38v8    -- 03-14-2024 @ 12:25 PM
  Phil, this upgrade is seen as a very smart move, showing that the owner is knowledgeable and wishes to have a car that steers like a modern car.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16912