Topic: Electric wiper

flatfoot    -- 02-07-2024 @ 6:15 PM
  Anyone have an idea where I might find an electric wiper kit that will fit my '36 Ford Sedan? I would like one for each side. The car is an original 6 volt positive ground.

Than-you to all,
Dale Smith
Redding, CA 96001

ford38v8    -- 02-07-2024 @ 9:48 PM
  You'll do better by having your original Trico rebuilt. Melissa Klien is Kent Jaquith's Granddaughter, trained by the best.

Melissa Klein
Clean Sweep Wiper Motor Service
3395 NW Elm Ave
Redmond,OR 97756

email cleansweepwipers@gmail.com
tel# 541 410 5671

Alan

juergen    -- 02-08-2024 @ 6:39 AM
  My experience sides with Alan. The 6 volts I found may work with Model A's with direct drive but not for V8s. Their sweep is narrow and don't get out of the view sweep when turned off. I went back to rebuilding my vacuum and it was better except when accelerating. I did not bother with a vacuum tank.

On the other hand, my buddies 39 hot rod has a great 12 volt aftermarket wiper. You would need a +6 volt to -12 volt convertor in series with the wiper motors

This message was edited by juergen on 2-8-24 @ 6:47 AM

51504bat    -- 02-08-2024 @ 6:48 AM
  Newport Engineering makes a kit BUT its 12 volt only. I installed one in my '54 Ranch Wagon and it fits and works perfectly.That said, having your original unit rebuilt as suggested is probably your best bet.

Drbrown    -- 02-08-2024 @ 8:43 AM
  Rebuilding a vacuum is a viable option. Some later cars incorporated a vacuum pump with the car's fuel pump. In all the years I've owned the car, I do not drive it in rain or snow and so have never used the wipers. Regardless, it's important to find out the dimensional measurements of whatever you plan to install and checking the space available. In some cars, not necessarily yours, an electric wiper motor may not fit .... i.e. in my '47 (typical of the '40's) a prior owner installed an electric wiper motor with its two-speed switch at the bottom edge of dash. To install motor he cut away the back and top of the radio box and some internals' making it unusable. Wanting a radio, I installed an AM-FM radio in the glove box (they are quite small these days). Regarding the motor switch, the '47 has its vacuum motor switch at the center apex of the windshield; it had not been removed. I eliminated the dash bottom switch location by adapting the electric switch to the stock vacuum switch. Please let us know how you make-out.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 2-8-24 @ 8:56 AM

jers51@ev8    -- 02-08-2024 @ 2:07 PM
  Check with Joes Antique Auto parts . I bought a 6v replacement wiper motor for my 36 pickup and it mounted it in place with no problems works fine.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16902