Topic: 36 V8 Pick-Up Radiator and Generator Mount?

RicMck    -- 02-02-2024 @ 5:15 PM
  Saddly today my generator mount broke and pitched the fan into my radiator.

I have several questions.
Does anyone repair these old radiators? Mine is the original style with the CU tubes.
If no who makes replacement radiators?
Generator mount? Are there newer (better metal) generator mounts? If yes who makes them? I have another generator with mount (but it's also old and well used). Or do I have to switch out the generator for an alternator setup?

Thanks a Bunch

Rick McKenney
Seattle, WA
1936 V8 Pick-Up

nelsb01    -- 02-02-2024 @ 8:15 PM
  If it is an original style mount for the generator, then you will need a new intake manifold.
It sounds from your description that that is not the case. A photo may help.

As for radiator repair -- I know that there are still old school radiator repair shops out there - at least one in MN -- not close to WA.

ford38v8    -- 02-02-2024 @ 9:13 PM
  I assume that you have insurance, which will reimburse you for an NOS radiator if you can find one. Comprehensive insurance will not pay for the broken generator mount, which was the cause of the damage.

Alan

40 Coupe    -- 02-03-2024 @ 5:34 AM
  About $1,000. for a radiator recore, which is less costly than a new brass radiator.

Kens 36    -- 02-03-2024 @ 9:18 AM
  Rick,

If you are not a member of the Early Ford V-8 Club, that would be a good investment. There is a great regional group right there in Seattle & the members may be able to help you and may know of local radiator repair shops.

Check out the group website at https://efv8psrg.org/.

Ken

carcrazy    -- 02-03-2024 @ 9:50 AM
  If by generator mount you are referring to the part of the generator that bolts to the front of the intake manifold, I may be able to help you.

I have two 3-brush generators, believed to be for 1937, which have good mounts. These generators are cores which would have to be rebuilt.

Let me know if these are of interest.

RicMck    -- 02-03-2024 @ 1:37 PM
  Thanks for the suggestions. I'm now wondering if I have the wrong intake manifold. Are the generator mounts different (heights)? The generator it almost all the way extended (top of the range) to get the belt tight. It seems like the belt is too long, but from what I know they are all one length for the 32-36.

I think I found a place in Seattle that can recore it. However I will first try to solder up damaged tube(s).

Rick McKenney
Seattle, WA
1936 V8 Pick-Up

carcrazy    -- 02-03-2024 @ 3:33 PM
  You can get a belt of the proper length if yours is too long by taking it to an auto parts store, like NAPA, to determine the width and cross section you need. Take a piece of clothes line or rope and wrap it over the grooves of the pullies when your generator is mounted in the middle of its adjustment range to determine the length of the belt you need.

C.W. Moss lists a belt #40-8620-A for your 1936 Ford Pickup. They list it as being 55" long.

This message was edited by carcrazy on 2-3-24 @ 5:14 PM

40 Coupe    -- 02-04-2024 @ 5:41 AM
  The 33-36 intake manifold mount for the generator is taller than the later manifolds. Post some photos of your intake manifold.

RicMck    -- 02-04-2024 @ 12:44 PM
  Thanks. My belts (I have several) have the correct part #, the OD is 56". The generator mount looks to be about 2-5/8" high.

I have another generator with what looks like a good mount.

From what I remember I think only 1 radiator tube is damaged. I can't work on it until the spring (working away from home for a few months).

What is the correct height of the 36 generator mount? Mine might be a 32.

In the Spring, I will get the radiator out and see if I fix the leak and straighten out some of the fins. If no I will either get it recored or try to find another one somewhere.

I try to get a shorter fan belt, and I'm also going to try to weld up a secondary support bracket, using some 1/4 or 3/8" plate front and back of the generator plate with a through bolt at the top, and piece of angle welded on the rear one, and hose clamp it around the generator.

What's the difference between the 32-36, and the 37 generator adjustment mount?

Rick McKenney
Seattle, WA
1936 V8 Pick-Up

This message was edited by RicMck on 2-4-24 @ 12:47 PM

RicMck    -- 03-06-2024 @ 4:04 PM
  Yes My belt measured 56" (OD) got a belt from NAPA 55" (OD) fits great. Now I need a new generator as the two I have are dead.

Rick McKenney
Seattle, WA
1936 V8 Pick-Up

Drbrown    -- 03-07-2024 @ 9:17 AM
  We have a good old-fashioned Radiator Repair Shop here run by an Old-Timer who's been doing such work all his life. He replaced the copper core in my radiator last year for about $700 reusing the OEM top and bottom tanks. He had trouble finding a match but got one.

40 Coupe    -- 03-07-2024 @ 9:21 AM
  There are no replacements for the generator front bearing mount. It is extremely unusual for the generator mounting to break. They do get tossed around when off the vehicle and may have been cracked when you installed or the belt was WAY TOO tight. I don't have the proper 36 part number but it is embossed into the cast iron of the part. Look for a replacement front mounting bracket.

ndnchf    -- 03-11-2024 @ 4:56 AM
  I rebuild/restore these generators and can help with yours. PM me if interested. Here is one I just finished a couple days ago.
Steve

This message was edited by ndnchf on 3-11-24 @ 4:58 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16898