Topic: chassis number location on a 1952 Ford Sunliner

wlzemke    -- 01-17-2024 @ 6:12 PM
  I am looking for a data plate for a 1952 Ford Sunliner . I was also looking for the Chassis number location on the same car. I purchased this car from a guy who's father was restoring it when he passed and the person I purchased it from cannot find the data plate. Thanks for any info. Bill

trjford8    -- 01-18-2024 @ 8:34 AM
  I would recommend purchasing the Early Ford V-8 Club's '52-53 book. It will answer many of your questions and will be invaluable to your restoration. It is available in our on-line store in the left menu of this site. It is a two volume set and very comprehensive.

mikecnc    -- 01-18-2024 @ 12:30 PM
  The Data Plate (patent plate) on all 1952 passenger cars is located on the right front door pillar. The chassis number (VIN number/Serial number) is stamped on top of the frame righthand cross member to side member reinforcement and two other places not visible with the body on the frame. I also recommend that you purchase The 1952 - 1953 Ford Book.

wlzemke    -- 01-18-2024 @ 6:15 PM
  Thanks for the suggestion . I will take a look at it.

wlzemke    -- 01-18-2024 @ 6:38 PM
  Would it be possible to locate it on this drawing?

mikecnc    -- 01-19-2024 @ 8:15 AM
  On the top view drawing, bottom right corner, the diagonal brace between the front crossmember and the right side frame rail, it is stamped on the top of the brace. You will have to sand or scr*pe the paint or rust to find/see it. This is the number that your state DMV inspector will have to see in order for you to transfer the title to your name.

wlzemke    -- 01-19-2024 @ 3:00 PM
  Thanks so much I will let you know if i can find it .

wlzemke    -- 01-19-2024 @ 6:14 PM
  I found it!! B3KC144888. He has the car trimmed up like a 52 but from the pictures i believe he started with a 53. Now that I have this is there a way to get the original data plate and a title? Thanks so much for you help!

mikecnc    -- 01-25-2024 @ 10:39 AM
  I don't know where you can get the original data plate if the prior owner removed it from the car and can't find it. Check the early Ford parts vendors to see if any of them sell repro blank data plates and have 1 made up using the info from your serial # and the Body, Color and Trim Codes which can be found in the 52-53 Ford Book; you will have to make up the Production Code, which is also explained in the 52-53 Book. Regarding the Title, find out the state that issued the title from the prior owner and contact the State DMV for the procedure for replacing a lost title. If you are able to acquire a data plate, DO NOT mount it until you get the title issue resolved, since the DMV inspectors look for data plates that have been tampered with (must have correct factory mounting rivets). The Serial # on the frame is sufficient to title the vehicle.

wlzemke    -- 01-25-2024 @ 4:47 PM
  Thanks for the info. I did send paperwork to the state I bought it in to see if they will cooperate .I have the vin ,body code, color and I am not sure about the trim. The production code will be the toughie. If the body is 76B would that tell you what the trim code is?

mikecnc    -- 01-26-2024 @ 12:00 PM
  There are 8 different trim codes for 53 Sunliners; they are listed and described in the 52-53 Ford book. Buy the Book!

wlzemke    -- 02-07-2024 @ 7:31 AM
  Thanks! I did send a request to the Dept of revenue in MO where i got the car but haven't herd back. Not holding my breath on that one. I just became a member so my next step is to buy the book.

trjford8    -- 02-09-2024 @ 7:50 AM
  Welcome to the V-8 Club. the book will be your " bible" for your "new" Ford.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16877