Topic: 1949 Station Wagon Upholstery Source

Dan Duszkiewicz    -- 01-10-2024 @ 10:54 AM
  When my 1949 Wagon was restored they failed to upholster the 3rd row seat. I need to find a source for matching material. The seats are all vinyl with an artificial leather pattern. See attached pictures. Does anyone know a source for this material?

I did try SMS already, after 14 months the samples I requested showed up and did not match.

Thanks for the help.

kubes40    -- 01-10-2024 @ 1:53 PM
  Is there a quality automotive trim shop in your area? Or a quality boat trim shop nearby?
Both will have numerous sample books to look through with decent sized swatches for comparison.
Being vinyl and quite a "neutral" color, this shouldn't be difficult to match.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Dan Duszkiewicz    -- 01-10-2024 @ 2:22 PM
  I dropped off a seat back this morning at the local shop for them to match. They didn't have much confidence so that is why I posted here.

nelsb01    -- 01-10-2024 @ 4:57 PM
  This the color that you are looking for --- these are original seats (and not for sale)

Dan Duszkiewicz    -- 01-11-2024 @ 5:05 AM
  Wow thanks for the picture. At least I can confirm my material is close to original. Hopefully you find an unrestored car for those.

nelsb01    -- 01-11-2024 @ 5:34 AM
  Those seats go with the 1949 Ford Station Wagon that is in my garage.

kubes40    -- 01-11-2024 @ 5:49 AM
  Try a different shop. At the very least, ask this shop how many suppliers they deal with.
Worst case? Have them get it close and then have them died or painted. A good body shop can handle that.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 01-11-2024 @ 7:17 AM
  hi
did you try Bill HIRSCH in NJ 1 800 828 2061
hope this helps 37 Ragtopman,
he has been in business for many years,

Dan Duszkiewicz    -- 01-11-2024 @ 8:35 AM
  Good call on Bill Hirsch. Even though there was nothing on their web site I called them and they sent me a picture of a sample that looks just like I need. Sample is being sent. Evidently they discontinued stocking vinyl but still have some stock. Lesson learned pick up the phone and call.

Thanks for all the help.

Jdome    -- 01-11-2024 @ 12:18 PM
  I'm going thru this with my early 47 convert with 46 super Deluxe upholstery . Brown & tan stripe cloth with brown vinyl. I've purchased from Hersch before and he had something close but only 1 yd left. Hersch told me they did not sell vinyl. I had heard sms was not very responsive but I did not have a problem with them. Took about 2 weeks to get samples but first time was over Thanksgiving and 2nd was Christmas. I purchased their striped cloth and asked for carpet and vinyl samples at same time, got the material UPS a week before samples came by mail.

A good source for vinyl is KOVI Fabrics on line. They have color samples on line Be sure to search for automotive grade. I selected brown and 2,000 choices came up in several grains. They charge for samples but credit to your purchase. I have samples, quality stuff. Another source is your
local Jo Ann Fabrics. Just standard color choices but quality is good. They have brown and tan but I need something in between. They do have red and maroon that might be close to Ford.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16867