Topic: 6 to 12 Volt conversion ---starter DEAD :(

fredster    -- 08-09-2010 @ 10:11 PM
  I changed to 12 volts.All new harness ,My car is not stock.A 29 roadster pickup on a pinched 32frame.It has a rebuilt 1937 bone stock flathead V-8 that has never been fired.I plan to change to a later model flathead. Hopefully this bonestock 37-V8 will find a good home in the proper car someday. Anyway I tested all the wirings nose to tail before cranking it up, when I tried to start the the motor the starter solenoid
clicks but the starter won't turn.Tried the 2nd time
solenoid is not clicking.I used a test light.and i am
getting juice on the the soleniod but no click!.I tried
to by-pass the soleniod , I'm getting sparks ,but no cigar!Before i pull out the 6 Volt starter, am i doing something wrong????? Help!!!

b29fred

40 Coupe    -- 08-10-2010 @ 5:40 AM
  make sure all the cable terminals are snug by trying to wiggle the terminal while connected. Then put your test light between the cable to the starter and ground at the solenoid to test if the solenoid is still picking up, if so move the test light to the starter terminal to chassis ground and test again if the voltage is on the starter terminal then move the test light ground only to the body of the starter to see if the starter has lost it's ground path, if the light lights remove the starter for repair if not clean the starter mounting.

supereal    -- 08-10-2010 @ 9:44 AM
  Put a voltmeter across each connection between the battery and the starter. The reading will tell you which has a loss. Be sure the ground strap between the battery and the engine is in place with clean, tight connections. Check across the battery terminals. A suddenly dead battery isn't rare. If you are using a 6 volt solenoid in a 12 volt system, it may have blown the windings in that switch if it doesn't click when the starter button is pushed. Six volt starters will usually run on 12 volts, but with a much shorter life, particularly if they are called on to run for long periods.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-11-2010 @ 10:03 AM
  the way you describe it , it sounds like a short in the starter motor, I would go to the auto parts store and buy a new 12 volt sol.this way you would be sure and rule that out,
pull the cover off the starter and look inside to see what it looks like.
maybe spray some CRC electric motor cleaner,
also make sure the starter is not locked on the flywheel, or is hung up on it,this also will act sort off a short,cause it is trying to turn the engine over but cannot turn over it self,
hope thishelps lets hear how you made out,
37 RAGTOPMAN and KEEP ON TRUCKIN,,,,!!!!!

37 Coupe    -- 08-11-2010 @ 12:53 PM
  Do you live in or near Ohio? Would like to find a very good 37 block someday. I have what must be a very low mileage 59AB that for some reason someone pulled pistons and rods out of it.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1686