Topic: PCV valve on intake

41fatty    -- 01-02-2024 @ 2:26 PM
  input on a pcv valve that i drilled and tapped under the intake manifold of a flathead stock 85 hp 59AB block. the theory is , with a Fram 64scr*w*d into an intake runner, and all reassembled, if i block the crankcase ventilator on the oil pan, i should pull vacuum at the oil breather/oil fill tested with say a plastic card. all said and done i should get better gas mileage on my 41 Ford coupe. Any word from the wise?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 01-02-2024 @ 3:08 PM
  hi 41flatty
was wondering if you have blow buy if so the engine needs work
are you spark plugs fouling up?
I doubt that a PCV valve will help,
also if the PCV valve goes bad you will need to remove the intake,
my 2 cents 37 Ragtopman

41fatty    -- 01-03-2024 @ 11:05 AM
  how do I contact Ronnie Roadster? he'll have the answer i need

carcrazy    -- 01-03-2024 @ 3:47 PM
  Putting a PCV system on an old engine, for which it was not intended, may not be a good idea unless you are willing to do the engineering work required to make it function properly.

By putting a PCV valve in the intake manifold you are introducing a vacuum leak which will lean out the fuel/air mixture going to the cylinders. The PCV system will have to be calibrated to allow the engine to function properly under all running conditions.

41fatty    -- 01-05-2024 @ 1:31 PM
  When I rebuilt my engine in 2001 , I came across an article written by Loyd Paschal in the v/8 times (vol.38 issue 4 july/Aug 2001) I was inspired enough to install a Fram FV277 replacement for anFV482 on my intake runner just aft of my heat riser chamber. Now almost 23 years and30-35,000 miles later, I wish to keep a PVC valve on the car with my new rebuild. Who wouldn't want all the blow by and condensation to be burned and exit the exhaust system? The issue is, does this system really work? I never felt vacuum at my oil cap/breather the whole 23yr. period. Either I mislocated my drill hole and put it on an exhaust runner or perhaps my road draft hole in the oil pan needs to be plugged.

41fatty    -- 01-09-2024 @ 5:50 AM
  or both

wmsteed    -- 01-09-2024 @ 10:13 AM
  I don't remember when, but I do recall the article in the V8 Times that touted the installation of a PCV in the bottom side of the intake, ie; inside of the valve chamber.
The article was well written and very detailed, however, from my point of view the whole system was wrong!
For one, the valve was inverted and the intake would have to be removed to service the valve... The Positive Crankcase Valve (PCV) does require service, cleaning, from time to time.
A correct PCV system is very simple. I have added them to every vintage vehicle I have owned since the late '60's.. The PCV has to match the size (CID) of the engine, fresh air has to be drawn into the engine via vented breather cap on a valve cover/ oil fill pipe located to the front or rear of the engine. The road draft vent on the pan, lower side of the block and.or rear of the block on Y blocks/early SBC's.
The '63 and later Y blocks don't have a draft tube on the left front of the block because all '63 and later Y block have PCV', the rear draft tube is removed and blocked with the PCV hose connection. Early SBC's, 63 plus used the same system.
The 8BA/8CM engines are easier to install a PCV on because they have the oil/crankcase fill pipe located towards the front of the engine with a vented cap.
Locating the PCV behind the carb into the valley chamber is quite simple, it does require the use of a 1/2" thick spacer between the carb and the manifold with a vacuum port for the PCV hose. A hole has to be drilled into the intake which is threaded to receive the PCV.
Clean air is pulled into the engine via the crankcase filtered cap. the crankcase air is drawn through the engine via the PCV which is located at the rear of the engine, end into the intake vacuum port in the manifold.
The purpose of the valve within the PCV is it snaps shut under acceleration, which results in enough vacuum for the distributor vacuum advance.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

This message was edited by wmsteed on 1-11-24 @ 11:41 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16852