Topic: 8BA no spark

RayPratoJr    -- 12-30-2023 @ 5:48 PM
  I'm attempting to start a newly rebuilt 8BA in my 51 F1 restoration project. I wired up the ignition and starter as per the diagram below. I do not have spark. I'm using a 6V battery using positive ground. I've changed the coil, distributor condenser 3x. I've flipped the wires on the coil as well. I'm holding an ignition wire from the coil to within 1/4" from ground. I'm getting no spark. The distributor itself has continuity to ground. I'm thinking of trying a 12v battery to the coil in case the coil is not a 12V coil. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Raypratojr@gmail.com

carcrazy    -- 12-30-2023 @ 8:52 PM
  Here are some things to check to get your ignition system to work:

1. Check the distributor cap to make sure the central carbon brush is making contact with the terminal on the rotor.
2. Make sure you have a 6V coil (with an internal resistor) wired up so the + terminal of the coil is connected to the distributor and the -
terminal is connected to the ignition switch.
3. Make sure you have the ground wire connected between the battery (positive terminal) and the engine block.
4. Make sure the small ground wire inside the distributor is making contact between the distributor housing and the point contact plate.
5. The contact points should have a gap or .015" and the spark plugs should be gapped to .030"

After checking the above items, if you still have no spark, let us know and we will list further items to check.

Some coils are either bad when purchased of fail within the first few minutes of operation. Check to make sure you have a good coil.

JayChicago    -- 12-31-2023 @ 10:45 AM
  Your wiring diagram looks correct to me.

You can check if you have a 6 volt or 12 volt coil by using an ohm meter across the primary terminals on the coil. A 6 volt coil should measure about 1.5 ohm, which will allow 6 volts to push about 4 amps thru the coil and points. A 12 volt coil should measure about 3.0 ohm; 12 volts will also push about 4 amps.

RayPratoJr    -- 01-01-2024 @ 8:42 AM
  It wound up being the insulator under the stud to the coil wire had deteriorated. This caused thd points to be grounded constantly. Thanks

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16845