Topic: 1937 light switch handle horn rod assembly problem

BRL    -- 12-13-2023 @ 2:22 PM
  Hi Guys:
I took my light switch handle/horn rod assembly out of my car (1937 Phaeton, model 78-750) because I wanted to replace the horn wire. After I took it out of the car and apart, I noticed what appears to be some sort of modification: someone milled down a shoulder on the backside of the light switch handle and added a homemade washer to it. They milled approx .150" of material away. The washer is about .030" thick. See photo (image 6735) where I have the homemade washer next to the handle. I bought a second light switch handle/horn button rod assembly and I notice it does not have the milled down shoulder on the handle...see second photo(image 6737). It has two fiber washers on the rod next to the handle and they are captured on the rod (they cannot be removed without separating the rod and handle). Also on the second rod was a split copper or brass bushing that I removed and placed next to the handle in the second photo. I cannot find any documentation that shows how it should all go together. Can anyone tell me what should be the correct configuration of hardware and handle for my car?

G Tosel    -- 12-17-2023 @ 12:20 PM
  I have a drawing of the 35-36 Ford horn rod that should be the same design as the 37 Ford

40 Coupe    -- 12-18-2023 @ 5:21 AM
  The split brass bushing fits into the end of the inner steering column before the horn rod is installed or you can place it on the horn rod before installation and make sure it is in the column before seating the rod.. No washers were needed. If you add a washer it will make installing the horn rod spring retainer at the bottom of the horn rod, harder to install. When the steering wheel is turned the horn rod is not supposed to turn. Keep that in mind when installing so the split bushing does not fit tightly on the horn rod.

BRL    -- 12-18-2023 @ 9:29 AM
  Hi Guys:
Thanks for the 35-36 assembly schematic...I will keep it in my files. Thanks for the assembly advisement concerning the little split bushing. So in my 1928-37 Chassis Parts List, it lists a part number B-3529 described as a "Silencer (Steering Gear Lighting Switch Tube) for 1929-37...I guess this is the little flanged copper or brass split bushing. The exploded diagram in the book shows no other parts between the handle/rod assembly and the steering wheel and steering tube. When I bought this car the lights did not work correctly and since the wires were all falling apart I replaced them (and the switch contact plate) thinking that this was the sole problem...since that did not completely fix the problem it looks like all these mods someone did to the switch handle is the problem. So I will reassemble using the unmodified switch handle I bought (I will remove the fiber washers) and install a new split bushing. I bought the split bushing from Bratton's Antique Auto Parts and they have it as their part number 5050 for 1929-32 cars...it fits the horn rod and tube for my 37 perfectly though. I will keep you advised of how it all goes together and works.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16815