Topic: 48 rear

flathead48    -- 12-12-2023 @ 9:55 AM
  Can someone tell me the original size of the rear hub sleeve that carries the roller bearing.
and the wear tolerance before repair or replace is needed.

Rick

TomO    -- 12-21-2023 @ 5:22 PM
  I don't know the size off hand, but the best sleeves come from Columbia 2-speed parts.

https://www.columbiatwospeedparts.com/

Give them a call, John should be able to tell you the wear limit.

Tom

flathead48    -- 12-22-2023 @ 3:36 AM
  Thanks, tom o

42wagon    -- 12-22-2023 @ 4:20 AM
  I believe there is a little misinformation here.
The wearing surface that the roller bearing runs on was originally a ground surface on the axle housing. The most likely damage to that surface is galling on the underside due to age and poor lubrication.

The only way to repair the axle housing is to have it turned on a lathe to reduce the diameter of the end so that a sleeve can be press fit on. This of course requires a complete disassembly of the rear axle. Unless someone has already done that repair once there is no removable sleeve.

flathead48    -- 12-22-2023 @ 4:48 PM
  42 wagon, my error in description, I was referring to the original diameter of the housing as it left the factory. The word sleeve was a bad choice. My goal was to measure my hubs to see what the wear was against the factory spec. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. In my area there is no one I can find to perform turning the housing for a sleeve so I guess I doesn’t really matter.
Happy Holidays
Rick

TomO    -- 12-26-2023 @ 3:55 PM
  Look for a truck service company and see if they can give you a recommendation for a shop that has a big lathe to turn the housing.I believe that John might still turn or have a source that turns the housings. If they are worn and you do not have them sleeved, you could break an axle.

Tom

51woodie    -- 12-27-2023 @ 8:02 AM
  42wagon mentioned disassembly of the axle to turn the stubs. There is an industrial machine shop in my area, where I had dealings with before I retired, and they have lathes that can take the whole axle assembly. I asked one time if they could do my axle if needed, and was told that if they had the specs, and it wasn't a rush, it would cost about $300. That is a lot better than having to tear down and reassemble the axle.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 12-27-2023 @ 11:04 AM
  48 REAR
MAYBE a GOOD USED AXLE housing would be easier and cheaper to find,
try local FORD V8 CLUB members if they have any spares,
do you need both sides,
I think 1940 to 48 were the same,
hope this helps 37Ragtopman, Maine

42wagon    -- 12-27-2023 @ 11:36 AM
  One thing you need to look at is the underside of the axle housing. It may look perfect from the top but the problem will be the the galling or spalling of the underside. This is caused by poor lubrication or just plain age over the years.

If using another year rear end check to see the location of the spring shackles is the same. I believe the early ones had different spring length and mounting. Also it appears that the width of the 41 on cars was increased. Don't know if that affected the axle housings.

ford38v8    -- 12-27-2023 @ 1:21 PM
  51woodie, I would not bet on that operation being feasible due to the need to remove the axle itself, and the possibility of metal shavings getting inside the housing. Remember as a kid? Taking a shortcut like as not was the long way around!

Alan

51woodie    -- 12-29-2023 @ 1:36 PM
  38V8. You are right about that, however I showed the shop foreman a picture of the axle end, and he explained that they would be able to do the job (didn’t give specifics) with the axle in place, with no cuttings getting into the axle housing. I just hope I never have to pull my axle.

flathead48    -- 12-30-2023 @ 2:45 AM
  Thanks to all for your input. I don’t know if they are worn because I don’t know the original diameter. I had a thought that the repair sleeve outside diameter may be at factory spec.

Happy New Year guys & thanks again for taking the time to help out

Rick

ford38v8    -- 12-30-2023 @ 9:09 AM
  Original spec was perfectly round. All wear is on the bottom surface, making it egg shaped. Mike it side to side and compare to top to bottom. Actually though, if you can't see and feel a difference, you're not worn enough to make a difference.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16812