Topic: Choke cable issue

46coupe    -- 12-06-2023 @ 3:39 PM
  I'll try to explain my problem as clearly as I can. My choke cable has come out of the rod which has the knob mounted on one end. That rod with the cable attached passes through another rod and onto the cable linkage at the carb. My problem is I can not find an adhesive that will go into the rod end where the choke wire is suppose to go. I have tried epoxy, J weld and regular metal glue. There is no way I can solder it.
Does anyone have any ideas how this thing can be fastened?

This message was edited by 46coupe on 12-11-23 @ 9:10 AM

40 Coupe    -- 12-07-2023 @ 6:40 AM
  Metal to metal ?? Try soldering . In order to solder the plating must be removed so scr*pe off or file off the plating then use silver solder available at your local hardware store.

46coupe    -- 12-08-2023 @ 7:35 AM
  I had planned on soldering the piece, however. with the rod that houses the cable wire slips into another rod/pipe which has the spiral part of the cable attached, made that impossible. I've now taken the whole thing out of the car.
What I've noticed is that if I can cut part of the spiral wire back it might give me enough length to solder the cable wire inside the rod that has the knob attached.
While we are discussing this could you tell me how the cable spiral is anchored to the dash or a close area to the dash? The anchor point on the firewall is holding the cable in place at that point, but I can't see an anchor area or point near the dash to anchor that end of the spiral. As it is I can't see anything under this area because so many other things, like wires, cigar lighter, etc are blocking my view, which is challenging. Any help is greatly appreciated.

This message was edited by 46coupe on 12-11-23 @ 9:14 AM

dean333    -- 12-09-2023 @ 9:17 AM
  What kind of car? There are sleeves available from our vendors. Slip both ends in and crimp the sleeve closed.

TIM CARLIG

46coupe    -- 12-10-2023 @ 7:02 AM
  It's an early 46 coupe. Wish I could get my files open. Anyway the choke knob is fastened to a rod with a hole in the opposite end. This where the choke cable wire would be soldered. However that rod slides into another rod that has the chrome ring attached to it which fastens to the dash. I can not solder the choke wire into the choke knob because I have to have the other rod slide over it. What I am going to try today will be cut the choke spring to expose enough of the wire to solder and hope that when the choke rod is slid into the other rod that not too much wire will be exposed which will kink when used.
I hope this example makes sense to you all. BTW who are the vendors that have choke repair items?
Thanks again for your help

This message was edited by 46coupe on 12-11-23 @ 4:25 AM

46coupe    -- 12-11-2023 @ 9:11 AM
  Finally was able to add pictures. Please see my original post with pictures.

This message was edited by 46coupe on 12-11-23 @ 9:12 AM

carcrazy    -- 12-11-2023 @ 8:37 PM
  Try Yesteryear Ford Parts for the choke cable parts you need.

http://yesteryearfordparts.com/catalog1.pdf

46coupe    -- 12-12-2023 @ 4:32 AM
  Thanks. I went to their site and they only carry what I need for 49-51 ford cars

carcrazy    -- 12-12-2023 @ 6:48 AM
  46 Coupe,
Did you talk to David Groh, the owner of Yesteryear? On page 60 of the catalog, he lists all of the parts required for your 1946 Ford Choke Cable. His phone number is 517-676-4416.
Hope you are able to resolve your problem.

1942deluxe    -- 12-12-2023 @ 7:41 AM
  On my 42 the actual choke cable (wire) had broken in two. I placed an ad on this site and Fordbarn and was able to find a used one that needed the rubber joint relaced. The rubber joint is readily available reproduction as are the knobs. At one point the choke and throttle assemblies were being reproduced but I called almost every vendor in the country and nobody had any left.

46coupe    -- 12-13-2023 @ 4:34 PM
  Carcrazy

I went back to the site and found what I was looking for. Initially the homepage didn’t open completely on my phone or I missed it. Anyway thanks very much for your help and follow up.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16800