Topic: 1947 Super Deluxe Coupe

DC    -- 11-19-2023 @ 8:32 PM
  Just purchased a 47 Super Deluxe Coupe and I cannot get the windshield wipers to work. How do I troubleshoot and where do I look to get parts if needed. Thanks

oldfords    -- 11-20-2023 @ 6:34 AM
  First I would make sure the vacuum hose is hooked up from the intake manifold to the wiper motor. Then pull the hose off of the wiper motor to make sure you have vacuum to the motor. If yes to both of these, is your switch activating the wiper motor? Then I would pull the wiper motor and open it up to make sure the wipers inside the motor are lubed and free to operate.

DC    -- 11-20-2023 @ 2:26 PM
  Good advice, I’ll start there. Do you know if the fuel pump is the vacuum source? A friend suggested that to me and I thought it odd, but I don’t anything about 47 Fords except mine looks sharp IMO. THANKS

oldfords    -- 11-20-2023 @ 2:51 PM
  No the vacuum is from the manifold. I don't think the dual action pumps came until the Y block engines.

51woodie    -- 11-21-2023 @ 7:00 AM
  Here is where the vacuum for the distributor and the wipers connects to the manifold, on the 59AB engine in my '46 Coupe. The metal line goes to the distributor, and the rubber hose goes through the firewall, then connects to the wiper switch (valve) on the dash.

RAK402    -- 11-21-2023 @ 10:12 AM
  There are various videos on YouTube for reviving vacuum windshield wiper motors (some good, some not so good).

Sometimes they are simply dry inside and just require lubrication (I have read about various things including ATF, brake fluid, and Marvel Mystery Oil, but don't know what is best).

I revived mine with Marvel Mystery Oil following this video (not my video):

https://youtu.be/g8xqtByDw-w?si=VO7emKz4HLGZvQEn

I did have my wiper motor out, but checked with the the manifold vacuum before re-installing it.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 11-21-2023 @ 3:40 PM
  hi
I would pull the rubber line off the wiper motor and attach a vacuum gauge and see if you have vacuum before taking things apart
if you have vacuum then see if there is a clog in the line, in the photos it looks like a one way valve, [tin can]
maybe it is stuck, it is broken, it also maybe dirty, if you remove it, maybe you can check the vacuum with out the valve in place, you might have to rig a fitting, to check the vacuum
hope this helps 37Ragtopman ,Maine

DC    -- 11-21-2023 @ 8:14 PM
  So many good tips and explanations. I sure do appreciate it!

51woodie    -- 11-23-2023 @ 8:22 AM
  The (tin can) that 37ragtopman referred to in the picture, is actually called a silencer. The one on my '46 Coupe, 59AB, is straight through, with no check valve. The part number for this item is 11A-17595.

Drbrown    -- 12-06-2023 @ 7:50 AM
  Drake's new catalog has wiper parts in it. PS: I've got a twin to your '47, at least the model and color. You're welcome to PM me with a problem. Over a decade I've resolved a number of issues with mine. I might be able to help.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 12-6-23 @ 7:58 AM

RAK402    -- 12-06-2023 @ 9:54 AM
  I found this in the 1932-1937 Service Bulletins:

This message was edited by RAK402 on 12-6-23 @ 2:44 PM

DC    -- 12-12-2023 @ 5:36 AM
  Thank you! I still have a wiper problem. I can get them to wipe up when I turn the wiper valve but they stop on the up position. I can turn the valve back and they go down but then stay in the position. I found a vacuum valve on eBay with three vacuum hose nipples on it. My car has that arrangement but not exactly like what I bought. My car does not have the control knob assembly that I see online for a 47. I think mine may have been a 40 or 41. What I bought and what it currently on my 47 does not look like the diagram but both have three inlets for a vacuum hose. That project has been put on hold for now. Right now, I having to replace the fuel tank. Mine came out of a museum in Mississippi and although it is a frame-off beautiful restoration there are some issues with it sitting so long. One new fuel pump already and now a fuel tank. It sounds great and it ran great for the first 50 miles or so. Now, once I get the rpms up just a little, it starts starving and the sediment bowl fills with trash. Once that is done, I am changing the heater for the 3 door version that seems to be most common. Mine is by Southwind and it runs off a small copper fuel line from the carburetors. I’m not comfortable with arrangement in the least! Have found a heater core and I’m currently rehabbing it.

Blase    -- 12-25-2023 @ 8:10 AM
  Just buy electric ones, I add these to my 48 coupe works great and you don't need to depend on vacuum

trjford8    -- 12-25-2023 @ 8:55 AM
  As for your fuel tank issue, I would recommend that you buy a new tank. You can get a new stock looking tank and it is probably cheaper than trying to rehab an old tank.

RAK402    -- 12-26-2023 @ 11:38 AM
  I am going to, respectfully, disagree with Blase.

I have had two of the electric wiper motors in my 1940 Ford. The first one failed outright, the first time I had to drive the car in the rain.

The second one was so weak that it could barely drive the wipers (and yes, the linkage moved freely and was properly lubricated).

I went back to vacuum.

My car is still six volt, positive ground. I have heard that the 12 volt versions of the electric wiper motors work fine, but have no experienced with them.

The is someone who re-builds vacuum wiper motors. I think that, if you search this forum, you will find them.

1942deluxe    -- 12-26-2023 @ 2:31 PM
  Ficken Wiper Service 132 Calvert Avenue West Babylon, NY 11704
631-587-3332 may be able to help.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16779