Topic: 1941 Ford Tudor rear axle seals

wilsonsk    -- 11-12-2023 @ 12:55 PM
  I am replacing my rear brakes and have a hub puller on order. I recall seeing posts about axle seals you can add from the wheel end when the hubs are off, I can’t find any posts on it but I recall seeing it in more than one, anyone have that seal part number handy? If I recall correctly, it wasn’t there from the factory but something you can do instead of splitting the axle housings?

trjford8    -- 11-13-2023 @ 8:46 AM
  The drum has a seal that rides on the housing if that is what you are talking about.

51woodie    -- 11-13-2023 @ 11:16 AM
  The only seal that I know of, are the seals that fit into the wheel hub that keeps the wheel bearing grease in the wheel bearing area.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 11-13-2023 @ 2:50 PM
  41 FORD
INNER REAR AXLE SEAL Part # B4245 from 1928 to 1948
these are replaced from the inside of the axle tubes
I would see if that this seal is leaking on the brake lining, if not maybe left alone ?
it is pretty hard these to leak on the brakes,
and it is a real hard job to replace
but replace the rear bearing grease seal in the brake drum brake , this one counts,
and make sure you check the bearing, and use the correct wheel bearing grease,
there is also a small gasket seal under the axle nut,
my 2 cents 37Ragtopman, Maine

wilsonsk    -- 11-13-2023 @ 5:04 PM
  Thanks for the replies. The seals I read about weren’t intended for these cars, it was something someone found to prevent leaking without splitting the rear end and also even if you do split the rear end and replace the seals, there may be grooves in the axles. I remember there was an old part number and I tried to find a current cross reference but couldn’t. It doesn’t leak bad, I think sometimes some lube sloshes into the tubes, only seems to leak out around the axle nut on the outside of the wheel, and only if I park on the street so the car is leaning to the right, just the right side would leak a little, never really even leaves a puddle, just makes the outside of the wheel dirty.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16759