Topic: kling pins

flatfoot    -- 10-26-2023 @ 9:05 AM
  When should I replalce the king pins and everything under my '36 Ford? Steering box leaks and It rides like a truck. lt is a 4 door touring sedan and should ride better then bottoming out on every little and big bump? If I re[lace thses items, the king pins etc, will that help? This is currently modern shocks in the front. Original shocks in the rear but I'm sure they need replacing. This car has never been restored framed up. It has 39 trans nad 37 motor. And How do I reinstall the original front shocks? Where can I buy them?

This message was edited by flatfoot on 10-26-23 @ 9:13 AM

RAK402    -- 10-26-2023 @ 9:37 AM
  I changed the King Pins on my '40 as there was some slop.

If you jack the front up, and grab the top and bottom of the front tire, and can rattle it back and forth by pushing the top of the tire in and pulling the bottom of the tire toward you, and vice-versa, the King Pins are loose.

I imagine there is a much better, more scientific test than this for it and others will chime in with better answers.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 11-01-2023 @ 5:42 AM
  king pins,
to get a better feel for worn king pins, you could tighten the wheel bearing,so there is no slop,
then check the king pins,
BESURE to adjust the wheel bearings correctly. so you do not ruin them, DO NOT LEAVE THEM TOO TIGHT !!!
ALSO have someone move the wheel ,top and bottom, as you view from underneath, to see if they are worn,
hope this helps 37Ragtopman
if it is rides hard check the air pressure in the tires, and your from spring may be tired and is not flexing the way they should,
also the tube shocks could be the problem, to long,? bottoming out ?
I would disconnect them and go for a short ride to see if there is a difference.
also check your grease in the steering box, it may be to thin, you might have to go a heavier grease, like the JOHN DEERE CORN GREASE, seems like this helps,
your sector shaft bushing could be worn, see if the pitman arm can be rocked back and forth

hope this helps 37Ragtopman,Maine

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16727