Topic: turn signal wiring

chucky    -- 10-17-2023 @ 1:16 PM
  will aftermarket turn signals work without the brakelight switch included in the circuit. Thanks

oldfords    -- 10-17-2023 @ 3:01 PM
  Since brakes lights are designed to both come on at the same time, without wiring the brake light switch in the circuit I would think both sides will blink. All the after market turn signal kits I have seen take that into consideration and provide the correct wiring.

trjford8    -- 10-18-2023 @ 1:05 PM
  When you get the turn switch they usually come with wiring instructions. The brake lights are very simple to wire into your switch. The turn switch is designed to utilize the stock brake lights for turn and braking .

This message was edited by trjford8 on 10-18-23 @ 1:09 PM

juergen    -- 10-18-2023 @ 4:02 PM
  An aftermarket setup which uses its own lights does not need a brake signal. These are usually the 4 wire setups, one wire to the left signals (front and rear). one wire to the right signals (front and rear). a power source, and a one wire indicator for the driver if either turn switch is energized. The 7 wire setups split the front and rear and provide a brake indication to both the rear lights and have no effect on the front lights. These require a brake signal.

JayChicago    -- 10-19-2023 @ 1:00 PM
  "will aftermarket turn signals work without the brakelight switch included in the circuit."

Yes.

chucky    -- 10-20-2023 @ 4:07 PM
  Thanks to everyone! Follow up question. Got all lights to work, but they don't blink. Any thoughts.

carcrazy    -- 10-20-2023 @ 11:12 PM
  Are you using a 6V or a 12V system? Are you using the correct flasher unit for the voltage of your system? Are you using conventional light bulbs or high energy bulbs? Any of these items if incompatible with the rest in the system can prevent the bulbs from flashing. Do the lights light up but not flash or do they not even light up. Make sure all of your grounds are working.

JayChicago    -- 10-21-2023 @ 5:34 PM
  Agree with carcrazy. If all light up properly, just don't blink, problem must be with the flasher. Flasher is defective or not the proper flasher for your turn signal system.

Mike_Van    -- 10-22-2023 @ 10:02 PM
  Do you have LED lights? They won't draw enough current to activate a thermal flasher.

51woodie    -- 10-23-2023 @ 7:30 AM
  My '46 Coupe, 6V + ground, had signals installed at some time before I bought it. The signals worked, but the indicator on the switch did not flash when using the signals. A bit of troubleshooting found a wrong flasher was installed. The Hella unit (see pic) had three pins which seemed correct, but replacing it with a 6V 535 flasher solved the problem with the indicator light. I also added a piezo buzzer (to wire 7) in the signal wiring, as my old ears couldn't head the flasher clicking. This often led to me driving merrily along signaling to other drivers, that the old guy in the old car was a hazard on the road.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16717