Topic: fuel gauge

JohnA    -- 10-15-2023 @ 5:50 PM
  I'm trying to get my fuel gauge to work on my 1948 Ford 2dr , I have converted to 12volt with alternator, I'm not getting power to sender side of gauge, can I connect a wire from the side that has power to side that does not have power. I have replaced most of wiring harness. Also is there a easier way to work on instrument gauges other than laying on your back , Johna

JayChicago    -- 10-16-2023 @ 9:44 AM
  "can I connect a wire from the side that has power to side that does not have power?"
That would just by-pass the gauge, gauge would not be measuring anything.

juergen    -- 10-17-2023 @ 5:55 AM
  Your gauge has two terminals; one for power and the other to the sender. The gauge has a set of points which are normally closed. Disconnect the wire to the fuel tank. If you have power at the gauge but not at the output (to the fuel sender) your gauge is not working.

JohnA    -- 10-17-2023 @ 9:40 AM
  will try. tks Johna

oldfords    -- 10-17-2023 @ 10:01 AM
  I just did the same thing with my 48 Mercury. I now have 12 volt negative ground and an alternator.
If you are using the original gauges, you must have a voltage reducer on the power side. They must be reduced from 12 to 6 volts. This will be necessary for the gas, oil, and temp gauges. I installed a reducer capable of handling all three gauges. On the back of the gauges, you will see a bar across terminals on two gauges, that is the power and the reducer must be upstream of the bar. The power for the temp gauge is tied into the wire before it gets to the ones with the bar. So you must install the reducer upstream from the junction of the wires. If that is too difficult, you could unhook the power wire to the temp gauge and install another jumper from the gauges with the bar. The amp gauge probably will not work because the alt puts out a voltage signal. I modified a tiny digital volt meter to fit in place of the amp gauge. Luckily I had my entire dash out and on the work bench while I did this. I know it will be much more difficult for you working under the dash with lights and close spaces. If I can be any help, let me know.

al

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16711