Topic: Who is right???

silverchief    -- 08-08-2010 @ 3:21 PM
  In the Jan/Feb issue of V8 times, page 16, Don Cunninghams Tech Facts he states "The plus and minus markings on the coil should be observed. For a positive ground system, as our Fords are, the PLUS side of the coil should be wired towards the distributor."

In Petersens "Basic Ignition and Electrical Systems,"
he writes. "Many coils now have their terminals marked
positive (+) or negative (-) or Bat (battery) and Dist
(distributor)

It seems to me Cunningham is saying connect the dist wire to the plus side of the coil, whereas Petersen
is identifying the + side as connecting to the battery (via ignition switch) What am I not understanding?

silverchief    -- 08-08-2010 @ 3:23 PM
  Added - Jan/Feb issue 2004 of V8 times.

JT Ford    -- 08-08-2010 @ 6:26 PM
  I'm not sure what Peterson is saying, but Conningham is correct. 6volt, positive ground, + side of coil to the distributor.

flathead4rd    -- 08-08-2010 @ 6:52 PM
  It's my understanding that the engine will run either way the coil is hooked up but not get as good of spark if the polarity is backwards. So hook it up both ways and see which one gives you the nice blue spark needed.

ford38v8    -- 08-08-2010 @ 9:17 PM
  Chief, I don't have the book, bu I would think that the Petersen book is speaking of "Basic Ignition and Electical Systems", not specifically Fords, which are Positive Ground, while "basic" cars are Negative Ground.

Regarding Flathead's post, he is correct, as it has long been known that a 12v coil hooked up backward will power a 6v ignition system.

Alan

silverchief    -- 08-09-2010 @ 8:13 AM
  Thanks guys - makes sense to me......now.

Silverchief

supereal    -- 08-09-2010 @ 8:17 AM
  The internal circuitry of the ignition coil shows that the primary and secondary windings are joined on the input side. For the positive ground vehicles the lead to the distributor should face the + terminal, where a ground is provided. This is the most efficient current path. A vehicle will run if the connections are reversed, but at a reduced level.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1671