Topic: 1937 convertible top rear belt line binding

BRL    -- 10-09-2023 @ 11:09 AM
  Hi:
I have a 1937 Phaeton and I am trying to understand what the design of the rear belt line binding (attaches convertible top to rear back of car) is supposed to look like. I do believe it is the wire-on style, but other than that I do not know what it is supposed to look like. The reason I want to know is that my car is missing the top boot and I see no provisions (snaps) for attaching a top boot at the rear belt line. Are there supposed to be snaps attached to my rear belt line binding somehow?...or on the back body somewhere?

fordv8j    -- 10-10-2023 @ 3:48 PM
  Our 1938 conv. coupe has snaps on the bottom of the top,put on with screws to snap the boot down

BRL    -- 10-12-2023 @ 8:12 AM
  Hi Fordv8j:
So are the snaps you are talking about just above the rear belt line binding? Do you think that is original design?

fordv8j    -- 10-12-2023 @ 4:03 PM
  Just went and looked at our 38 conv. coupe; the wire on welt is about 5/16'' above the bottom edge of the top, the welt looks to be about 1/2'' wide, and starts about 2'' from door post, the snaps are in the middle of the welt, put on with screws; first snap is 4'' from edge of door post,next is 14'' from first one; next is 16'' from last one;; next one is 15'' from last one; next one is 15'' from last one; next one is 16'' from last one; next one is 14'' from last one; the next one is 4'' from edge of door....this is a Lebarron Berry top, presume it is correct, don't loose points in the concourse judging, got Dearborn Award, hope this helps you-----James R Parsons, Normantown, WVa

BRL    -- 10-13-2023 @ 5:10 AM
  Hi James:
OK, to be clear: are your boot snaps scr*w*d through the middle of the wire-on welt such that the top bead of the welt folds over the snaps to hide them when the boot is not in use?...or are the snaps scr*w*d right on top of the closed wire-on welt such that you always see the snaps?

fordv8j    -- 10-13-2023 @ 6:20 AM
  they are scr*w*d on top of the welt, and are always visible

BRL    -- 10-14-2023 @ 8:04 AM
  Hi James:
Thanks a lot for the good info! If I get any more confirmation that your configuration for the boot snaps is OEM, that is how I will do my car's belt line binding.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16698