Topic: 8BA question

oldfords    -- 09-30-2023 @ 10:14 AM
  I will not bore you with all that I went through with this engine but here is my question. I obtained this engine with a 4" crank, racing pistons, and a 400jr cam. No heads or intake. I put a stock intake and stock 8BA heads on it and promptly bent 15 out of 16 valves. It would sort of run on 5 cylinders. After taking all apart, I find I have sbc valves. The exhaust are 1.5" and the intakes are 1.6". After getting new valves and different heads with more valve pocket clearance, and doing a little modification it is again running. It runs good but I don't like the sound out the exhaust. With the other stuff different to the engine, can I just put in a stock cam? This car will never do more than cruise the streets of town. I forgot, it has adjustable lifters.

carcrazy    -- 09-30-2023 @ 4:09 PM
  You can use a stock cam in the engine. The best of the stock cams for the 8BA engine are: EAB-6250-C and 1CM-6250-A. Along with your new stock cam, you will want to install a set of new adjustable lifters to make the job of adjusting the valve clearances as easy as possible. The lifters must be of a hardness that is compatible with that of the camshaft lobes for the proper wear characteristics. The camshaft lobes and lifters must be kept in matched pairs to ensure long life.

Be sure to lubricate the camshaft and lifter wear surfaces with a suitable cam lubricant before firing up the engine. Once the engine is running, allow it to run for 20 minutes or so at 2,000 RPM to properly break-in the camshaft.

Once the camshaft is properly broken-in, drain the oil, change the oil filter and add the required amount of oil with the correct amount of an engine break-in additive to provide the correct amount of ZDDP to minimize the amount of wear in your valvetrain.

If it were my engine, I would use a straight SAE 30 High Detergent conventional motor oil with Engine Oil Break-In Additive from Red Line. I have had great results using Pennzoil SAE HD-30 Motor Oil with the previously mentioned additive.

Hope you are able to get the engine running to your satisfaction and that it has a long and happy life.

pauls39coupe    -- 09-30-2023 @ 4:10 PM
  Yeah that 400 jr has a lot of lift, probably too much for what you want to do with the car.
Try a 77B grind or a Max 1 if you want a little bit of hot rod sound. Always put clay strips on the valves and pistons, then turn the engine by hand to check the clearance between the valves/pistons and the heads.
A stock Merc cam would probably be your best bet.

mfirth    -- 10-01-2023 @ 4:21 AM
  8Cm Mercury cam is a VERY GOOD choice.

oldfords    -- 10-01-2023 @ 6:54 AM
  Thanks you guys. I will try to find a merc cam. If I already have new adjustable lifters, will I need to purchase different ones for the Merc cam?

carcrazy    -- 10-01-2023 @ 8:01 AM
  For best long term results, always use new lifters with a new cam. The hardness (heat treatment) of the cam and lifter materials must be compatible with each other. Adequate lubrication is also essential to cam and lifter longevity.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16690