Topic: Clutch adjust on my '41 gone awry

martin.scheffer@gmail.com    -- 09-25-2023 @ 11:55 AM
  Removed clutch adjusting rod clevis pin and adjusting rod pin and scr*w*d the clutch adjusting rod about a 3rd to a half inch into the clevis. Put everything back together with a proper clevis pedal pin and reattached the pedal return spring (which had come loose when I don't know and was hanging from the frame)

My result from attempting to regain the missing clutch pedal free play is a pedal feebly actuated by the return spring and a clutch which is permanently engaged. What might I have done to deserve this?

kubes40    -- 09-25-2023 @ 12:49 PM
  If you scr*w*d the rod into the clevis, you will increase pedal free play. To decrease free play, you'll need to lengthen that rod.
Be certain that the pin is not worn and also be certain the clevis is not worn. A little wear in either of those points adds up exponentially at the pedal.
If you have the spring installed correctly, and it is the correct spring, the pedal should return easily to its resting position.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

martin.scheffer@gmail.com    -- 09-25-2023 @ 1:16 PM
  Thanks for such a quick and informative reply. I don't detect any areas of wear on the pins or clevis and the return spring looks like it was replaced reticently and seems to fit correctly, however your use of the word "exponentially" made me wonder if I have scr*w*d the adjusting rod too far into the clevis (about a half of an inch), and thereby exponentially increased the pedal free play as the only tension on the pedal is from the spring which is minimal at best. Given your thoughts about the matter would it then be correct that I have produced so much free play that the pedal can go all the way to the floor and still not be able to back the pressure plate away from the flywheel?

kubes40    -- 09-25-2023 @ 1:31 PM
  I believe you have this
I might suggest leaving the spring disengaged until you have the proper free play. To me, it's easier to feel the bearing coming into contact with the plate.
Just remember that increasing the length of the rod decreases pedal free play.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

martin.scheffer@gmail.com    -- 09-25-2023 @ 3:12 PM
  Wow, I think this advice is going to make my day. I will report back with results

martin.scheffer@gmail.com    -- 09-27-2023 @ 12:11 PM
  Thanks again for the excellent advice. That was all it took to set the free-play exactly. Not only had I underestimated the close tolerances. I was also twisting the adjusting rod into the clevis rather than the other way. Wow, 1/2 turn could change the pedal position a good 2 inches! What I need is a good Motor's type shop manual for my '41

kubes40    -- 09-28-2023 @ 10:30 AM
  Glad this worked out for you. Hey, don't feel bad... I think most of us has done exactly what you'd done initially.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16684