Topic: King-Seeley

MICHV8    -- 09-04-2023 @ 5:42 AM
  Isn’t there a potential air leak at the two fittings where the tube slides through the nut? I don’t see anything that tightens the tube at the nut in the pass-thru fittings. How did Ford seal it? Do I put a dab of silicone on the tube at the nut at the two pass-thru fittings?
I’m guessing the gas cap must be a secure seal as well. And when you remove the gas cap, how is the tank pressure re-established?
Once the red fluid fades, can I add dye?

And if this fails after best effort, what do you recommend as a gas gauge 6 volt solution?

Thanks, but what a difficult solution to a gas gauge need...

40 Coupe    -- 09-05-2023 @ 5:49 AM
  It would be good to identify what year your working on. The one fittings at the hydro-static sending unit for the gas line is special and is basically two pieces (even though they may be attached to each other) one is the threaded nut and the second is the farrell. The farrell is globe shaped with a hole through it for the fuel line to pass through. The tapered sided of the globe shape seal the fuel line after the threaded nut is scr*w*d down tightly. There is no need for any sealer to be added. After tightening properly the farrel will compress onto the fuel line and seal. An air leak at the fuel line to the sender will cause problems with the fuel pump supplying the proper amount of fuel to the carburetor or none at all.
All the gas tanks are vented to atmosphere. Although the 32-35 gas caps are not vented, the tank is vented through a vent tube in the hydro-static sending units.
The replacement red fluid which faded can not be recolored. It has to be replaced. Renners Corner sells a red fluid replacement which is not supposed to lose color. Check the web for their page.

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 9-5-23 @ 5:51 AM

carcrazy    -- 09-05-2023 @ 10:00 AM
  If you want to repair your original gas gauge, you can get the items required from Yesteryear Ford Parts, www.yesteryearfordparts.com, 517-676-4416. They list a 1932-35 Gas Gauge Repair Kit that includes the small line, fluid, fittings and instructions under part number 40-9324 and the fluid only under part number FL-9324.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16650