Topic: A mystery

silverchief    -- 08-07-2010 @ 3:15 PM
  Finally got my 49 started with idle set right on the money with light. Newly rebuilt carb, new points, condenser, rotor, and coil. I have 6 volts at coil with key on. Used combo dwell and tach to set dwell at 28 degrees, and adjust idle screws at maximum idle rpm for each. Starts right up and idles smooth as glass.
Vacuum guage holds very steady at 15 (adjusted for this altitude) UNTIL you reach a good operating temp. Once it gets hot, the engine starts to lope, until it dies. Pull accel rod and you can keep it running, but will not idle. Starts right up again, even though hot, but absolutely will not idle. Running electric fuel pump only, and 2 lbs at pressure regulator. Mystery to me.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-07-2010 @ 3:27 PM
  You say it idles smooth,is this cold with the choke on,and did you make the carb adjustments before it was to operating temp?
did you retry ajusting the carb when hot,
also just for ho ho's warm it up and then shut it off, take a light and look down the carb and see if you see any fuel dripping, you might even see this when it is running, does it seem to run rich,? make your eyes water ? black smoke out the tail pipe? WHEN RUNNING.
a bad coil or condensor with cause problems hot, and you will start loosing ignition spark will get weak and cause loping. cause the spark plugs are not working to there full potential.
check a few things out and gt back to us,
be specific in the description,
hope this hepls 37 RAGTOPMAN KEEP ON TRUCKIN,,,

silverchief    -- 08-07-2010 @ 5:18 PM
  I set the idle adjustment screws after just started to warm up. Tried a second adjustment as problem begins, no help. No smoke or unusual exhaust. I have a new coil and condenser and don't see a problem there.

If set on very high speed idle it will run, but every few seconds start to fall off and die, catches itself, comes back to smooth fast idle for a few seconds, starts to fall off and die, catches itself, and repeats over an over.

Will restart with no problem, cold or operating temp.

Now problem is there even on cool start up.

This message was edited by silverchief on 8-7-10 @ 5:22 PM

supereal    -- 08-07-2010 @ 6:57 PM
  Bill: 2 pound fuel pressure may not be sufficient, particularly if the float level is set too low.

silverchief    -- 08-08-2010 @ 3:01 PM
  Supereal

Thanks Supereal, I will up it to 3 lbs.
Took my carb apart to check float level and discovered
the rebuilder had repalced the original needle valve with a more modern style - very small and completely different in design. Could this be my problem?

trjford8    -- 08-08-2010 @ 9:09 PM
  silverchief, if you have the adjustable(dial type) regulator this may be your problem. I've had nothing but trouble with them and now use the one made by Holley. You should have 3 lbs at the carb.

ford38v8    -- 08-08-2010 @ 9:31 PM
  Chief, yes, the needle valve could be a problem if it is not all metal. Some use rubber or fiber: Niether is good with the new gas, as they tend to swell and stick.

Alan

silverchief    -- 08-09-2010 @ 8:17 AM
  Thanks guys. I had the rebuilder put the old needle valve back in and set the float using template of a gauge previously published in this forum. Hope it is
correct. We will see.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1665