Topic: Just stop running

Blase    -- 09-03-2023 @ 8:30 AM
  I have a 1948 Ford, new battery, new starter, new solenoid, new ignition switch, new starter button, full tank of gas. Car starter easy was running for about 10 minutes and just stopped running. My guess is I lost juice from some were, but don't know how to begin checking where I lose it.

MG    -- 09-03-2023 @ 11:33 AM
  With the ignition switch on, measure with a voltmeter to see if you have voltage at the coil...

pauls39coupe    -- 09-04-2023 @ 7:02 PM
  Pull a sparkplug wire and see if you have a good blue spark about 1/4 inch long. Check for voltage at the coil, if that is OK most likely you had a coil or condenser fail. Try the condenser first, they are cheap.

carcrazy    -- 09-04-2023 @ 7:37 PM
  Does the engine have any electrical power? Will the starter motor crank the engine? If the engine fails to crank, a connection at one of the battery cables or ground strap terminals may be loose.

Drbrown    -- 09-10-2023 @ 6:00 AM
  Assuming the starter works and engine turns-over, and in addition to pauls39coupe comment, obviously check all electrical wire connections. My basic questions to understand ..... . (2)You didn't say but is your system 6 or 12 volts ? If a 6 volts, you have a resistor at your starter switch and the voltage at the coil will be slightly lower than 6 volts. If a 12 volt system the resistor at the starter switch is removed and you have an internal resistor inside the coil so you'll have 12 volts at coil input and the coil should show about 3.0 ohms resistance across the coil terminals. With this system you can run a jumper wire from the battery directly to the coil input to bypass the switch and eliminate any question about the switch's performance. (2) Are you using a stock points distributor or electronic module ? (3) Looking down the carbonator throat, when you manually work the carbonator accelerator lever on the carb does gas squirt out the jets inside the throat.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16645