Topic: 37 Phaeton top boot fit problems

BRL    -- 08-12-2023 @ 9:48 AM
  Hi Guys:
As a new owner of a 1937 Phaeton (model 78-750), I decided to lower the top and see how the boot fits. The convertible top looks very new and fits very well on the car when up. I dont know any history on this top. All the bows are metal and appear OEM and in good shape. The top drops down very easily. I have a reprint of a small blue book for the Phaeton titled "Instructions For Lowering and Raising Top". Using this book as a guide, I notice my top does not have any snaps at the rear binding to hang the boot...also I notice my top does not have any straps for cinching down the bows. Anyway, I carefully fold the top and push the bows down as tight as I can by hand and try to install the boot. It appears to me the boot is too small in every dimension where a snap needs to be engaged. I can only engage half the forward side snaps and the line of rear snaps appear to be about 2-1/2 inches short of reaching the rear binding of the top...also the rear binding does not have any snaps for the boot snaps to engage anyway. So after studying all my documentation I am thinking that this top is only partially manufactured and there is a still some features that need to be added to it...and the boot probably needs to be re-made to fit the installed dropped top...what do you guys think? Can anyone tell me how many straps I need to make and where they exactly attach to? (In my boot bag there is a roll of what appears to be strap material). Also, is my rear belt rail binding supposed to have a flap that opens to expose the boot snaps? I have attached 2 photos of how it fits right now.

42oink    -- 08-17-2023 @ 2:29 PM
  Hi, It does look like the boot is short in height. I have a 37 club cabriolet that when the top is down fits further down in the tray. If someone with a similar phaeton could measure that side corner height dimension, it may prove at least that you have the right one. Hope this helps . 42OINK

3w2    -- 08-17-2023 @ 3:49 PM
  Obviously whomever made the top boot did not make a trial fit to make sure that it would work as intended. You need to obtain a copy of the engineering drawing of original top boot from the Benson Ford Research Center and start over if you want the correct top boot that fits. You will need the part number in order to place that order and hopefully someone herein will provide you with that number if you do not have a copy of the 1937 body parts catalogue.

fordv8j    -- 08-17-2023 @ 3:53 PM
  on our 38 convertible coupe; when top is down, the front header bow is below the top edge of car, have to sorta ro;; it back to get it there

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16601