Topic: 1937 chassis...with 1941 engine?

BRL    -- 08-09-2023 @ 8:06 AM
  Hi Guys:
My 1937 Phaeton (model 78-750) has serial number 18-3830516 stamped on the frame in the engine bay, which is a number that jives with 1937. I finally got around to replacing the forward wood floor boards and this allows me to see the serial number stamped on the flywheel bell housing. It is 18-6666195. From a quick look at the Van Pelt Sales website, this seems to be a 1941 Ford 90 HP serial number for a 11A model. I am a little confused because I thought that after 1938 the Ford V8 had 24 stud heads, but my engine has the 21 stud heads with center mounted cooling hoses and front engine mount water pumps like a 1937 engine would. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Also, my engine has 3 head studs that are longer than all the rest. These 3 studs protrude well beyond the nuts and I am wondering if something mounted on them...they are located on the drivers side at the rear of the head...see attached photo. Now that my floor boards are off, I can also see that there is a plugged oil line coming from the oil pan just to the rear of the dipstick tube...is this related to the 3 studs...see photo...was there possibly a bypass oiler mounted on this engine at this location?

trjford8    -- 08-09-2023 @ 8:57 AM
  Those studs we there to mount the accessory oil filter. Someone removed it and also plugged off the oil return line to the pan. You also have a 37 motor if it has the 21 studs.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 8-9-23 @ 9:01 AM

kubes40    -- 08-09-2023 @ 9:19 AM
  As has been mentioned in a previous post, those long studs were no doubt placed there for an incorrect oil filter at one point. Also incorrect are the studs themselves.
The later filter (incorrect for your car) would have been mounted near the front of the cylinder head and utilized special nuts to mount vs. longer studs.

The serial number you'd uncovered while the boards were removed is on the transmission case, not the engine. Does your car still have the floor shift?

The oil pan you describe seems to be 1942 - 1948.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

BRL    -- 08-11-2023 @ 8:55 AM
  Hi guys:
Thanks for the responses. Kube, if a later oil pan and trans/bell housing will fit on my 37 engine, maybe they are from a later car as you suggest. I will say when I first got the car, I changed out the dipstick to the oil pan because it was too short and did not read the level correctly. Also, I noticed that there has been a weld modification to the trans/bell housing floor cover for the floor shifter...see photos.

wmsteed    -- 08-11-2023 @ 10:32 AM
  Most of us are aware of the fact that the serial number was stamped onto the trans housing at the Dearborn plant when the engine was mated with the engine. When the engine was mated with its chassis at the final assembly plant, the number on the trans was stamped onto the chassis in two places, near the steering gears and on the rear crossmember above the differential.
It would appear that the car in question has a trans from a '41 pickup in lieu of a car.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16596