Topic: 1936 Model 68: Thumping Sound From Wheels

Capajo02    -- 08-02-2023 @ 7:01 PM
  Tonight, my wife, daughter, and I took a drive in our (new to us) 1936 Model 68 Fordor. We had some overheating problems when the initially got the car, and we did a radiator and block flush to try to mitigate those issues. So far - fingers crossed - it looks like the temp issue is improving. We just took a 30+ minute drive with idling in traffic, and the temp gauge never got out of the normal range.

HOWEVER - the reason for this post - just as we were turning back onto our street after a successful test drive, the car started to make a thumping noise that seemingly came from the front wheels. It reminded me of the noise of driving on a flat, but the tires are all fine. We only drove about 150 ft, as it started right as we turned off the the main road toward our driveway. The thumping seemed to keep pace with the speed of the vehicle. I visually inspected the wheel, tires, underside of the car, and nothing stood out to me as dragging or broken.

Could this be a wheel bearing issue? Something with the brakes?

I am brand new to all this. I'm also admittedly not a gearhead, so this is all very new to me, and I am getting a lot of OJT when it comes to this car and cars in general. I apologize if my question is novice-level.

Thanks very much, John

(Photo just include to show the car. It needs some work, but it is about 75% there)

carcrazy    -- 08-02-2023 @ 7:49 PM
  It sounds to me like a front wheel bearing going out. Remove the hubcap and the wheel bearing grease cap. Take a look at the threaded end of the spindle to see if it is concentric with the hub. If it is eccentric in relation to the hub, don't drive on it! Remove the wheel and inspect the bearing. If it were mine, I would replace all of the bearings and races in that hub. Install new bearings, races, grease seal and wheel bearing grease before driving the car. Be sure to also check the spindle to see if it has been heated or scored. If it has been, it also needs to be replaced.

Capajo02    -- 08-03-2023 @ 5:11 AM
  Thank you very much. I will follow your instructions. I appreciate the information and guidance. - John

Capajo02    -- 08-03-2023 @ 9:05 AM
  I was searching through previous posts for a recommendation for wheel bearings. Are these correct for what I need: https://thirdgenauto.com/product/new-1928-48-ford-front-wheel-bearings-cups-complete-set/

Are there better options out there? Still learning, sorry for all the questions.

Thank you.

carcrazy    -- 08-03-2023 @ 12:25 PM
  From the description shown, they appear to be the correct ones.

42oink    -- 08-03-2023 @ 2:57 PM
  This may seem a bit simple but was my first thought. Check your lug nuts. Some times the we overlook the simple stuff looking for a problem. Nice looking car and I like the red wheels. 42OINK

woodiewagon46    -- 08-04-2023 @ 10:59 AM
  If you do need wheel bearings, try not to get Chinese made bearings. If you can source N.O.S. bearings use them. From what I have been reading bearings made in China are prone to failure.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-04-2023 @ 2:46 PM
  hi
does the car have a shimmy.?
was wondering if you added any air to the tires, if the air compressor tank was not drained, could have aded water to the tires, maybe you have water in the tires,?
hand spin the tires see if they are way out of ballance,,, any flatspots on the tread,?
its along shot, but have seen it happened,
wheel bearing have growl or hum when they go bad,
let hear how you made out,
hope this helps. 37 Ragtopman, Maine

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 8-5-23 @ 8:35 AM

Capajo02    -- 08-07-2023 @ 7:49 AM
  Thanks very much. There is no shimmy to the car. It was just the thumping.

We are going to get to this project next weekend, so I will follow up with what we discover after next Sunday.

Thanks again to everyone for their input and assistance.

51woodie    -- 08-08-2023 @ 7:12 AM
  As 37ragtop posted, wheel bearing generally make a growling sound, not a thumping noise. If you can find a safe place clear of traffic, drive at about 30mph and swerve hard right to left, and the wheel with the problem should get louder under load. if it gets louder turning left, the issue is in the right front.

Capajo02    -- 08-23-2023 @ 4:24 PM
  Hi Everyone! Sorry for the long delay on following up. Real life got in the way of playing. At any rate, we finally looked at this today. 42oink was right on the money. Mind you, I hadn't touched the car since I wrote my last message here. . .

Finally pulled the hub caps, started to take the lug nuts off, and the front passenger side nuts spun as soon as I put the tire iron on them with no resistance. The driver's side front was even worse, a couple could be loosened by hand. The rear lug nuts were also loose, but not nearly as bad. To be thorough, we did take off the wheels, inspected the bearings, spindles, brakes, etc. We also repacked the bearings; they are newer replacements, but are in good condition. We put everything back together, tightened the lug nuts (well), and took a drive. Problem looks to be solved.

I feel silly waiting for so long to even check the lug nuts, I just assumed this would be a huge project, so I never touched it until my father-in-law was available to help. At any rate, it was better he was there to inspect the things that I still need to learn about.

Thanks to all of you who chimed in. I feel dumb, but we all have to start somewhere. I'll be back with more rookie questions soon.

-John

metalart    -- 08-23-2023 @ 5:35 PM
  Hi John,
Some years ago, I read about a guy who took his old ford out for its maiden run after years of restoration. He suffered a similar noise, but tried to make it home and a wheel fell off! Apparently he forgot to clean the new paint off the wheel, where the lug nuts fasten. And as the wheel spun, it wore paint away and the nuts came loose. It may be unlikely that this is your problem, but worth a look. Good luck.

Grant    -- 08-24-2023 @ 5:30 AM
  Good morning, John.

Good luck with your 1936 Ford.

As a fellow '36 owner, I share your frustration. But in this case, it sounds like you've got a happy ending.

Thought you might like this illustration .........

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16591