Topic: Need help with price

Bart    -- 08-06-2010 @ 2:31 PM
  I need help with my car. I have a 1936 Ford Tudor Deluxe that I would like to sell. I just don't know a good price to ask. It was restored by my father and is a three time Dearborn winner. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

1934 Ford    -- 08-06-2010 @ 5:17 PM
  Bart,
Ask your father's friends the same question. They would know you father's car and possibly people who would be intersted in buying it, as well as it's value.
You can try to get maximum price or just try to find it a good home. I've seen them priced over $30,000 but doubt if they sell in that range. With it's Dearborn Awards, I would think $25,000 would result in a quicker sale.
Remember your dad enjoyed the car and couldn't have one restored for that price, but he probably did his best to make it as perfect as he could. Not many people profit from as restoration these days, especially in this price range. Also others know they can buy them cheaper than doing a restoration, and that makes you dad's car desirable.

trjford8    -- 08-06-2010 @ 8:35 PM
  I agree with 1934 Ford's advice.In addition you might want to get the car appraised and then check 'completed items" on e-Bay to see the bid numbers onnthe same type of car. I would also run an ad in the V-8 Times as there maybe someone looking for that type of car.Those who read the ads may also have a friend who is looking for a car. The secret to selling is giving the car as much exposure as you can. If you are good with the computer you can also post ads with photos. That really helps sell a car. Without seeing your car I would think it should be priced between $18,000 and 23,000. If it's a tudor "flatback" I would ad an extra $1000 to those figures.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 8-6-10 @ 8:38 PM

Bart    -- 08-07-2010 @ 8:07 AM
  Thank you for the suggestions. Here are a few pictures of the car. My dad is a perfectionist to the nth degree. He has restored 7 cars that I know of. It needs a good home where someone will show it. I'll post a few more pictures after this one.

Thanks again.

Bart

Bart    -- 08-07-2010 @ 8:17 AM
  Pic 2

Bart    -- 08-07-2010 @ 8:18 AM
  Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

Bart    -- 08-07-2010 @ 8:19 AM
  Pic 6

Pic 7

Pic 8

Bart    -- 08-07-2010 @ 8:20 AM
  Pic 9

oldford2    -- 08-07-2010 @ 9:00 AM
  well,
That sure is perfection!

Bart    -- 08-07-2010 @ 10:20 AM
  Thank you. I will pass it along to my father. He will enjoy the complement. Any idea on a realistic price range?

Thank you.

supereal    -- 08-07-2010 @ 10:31 AM
  I'm not a particularly big fan of price guides, but the best one (Old Cars Weekly) is based on auction and private sale data. It shows the '36 DeLuxe tudor as $19,100 in #1 condition, which is as perfect as the market recognizes, and a rare car. #2 is $13,400. As the saying goes, "actual results will vary". The collector car market is very soft at present, and these figures may be more realistic than some expectations. The open cars and the coupes still bring big numbers, but the rest of the models are shown in the range quoted above.

flatheadfan    -- 08-09-2010 @ 2:52 AM

I think I am going to respectably disagree (somewhat), with Supereal when he describes the collector car market as being "very soft." In my humble opinion it virtually borders on being "non-existent."

I attended the Gilmore Car Show Saturday (Hickory Corners, MI). This is truly a premier national show. And, like most car shows there were many collector cars for sale.

After a walk through the car corral, I was amazed what $20K would buy. Cars that would have commanded $30+K two years ago are now going begging at $15K. It definitely is a very good time to buy but a terrible time to sell.

I know that collector car market conditions have been a subject of discussion in many quarters. Some of the more optimistic predictions are claiming a turn-around in a couple of years. Obviously, this is not very encouraging if you need to sell your car now. On the other hand, prices for parts are going through the roof.

There has always been a disconnect between restoration costs and marketable prices for the finish project. But, I can't ever recall a disconnect as large as what is occurring now. So, I guess the bottom line is, if you are in the market for a collector car make sure it is as complete and finished as possible because the costs of making a restoration would give even "the big spenders" pause for thought! (MHO)

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-09-2010 @ 5:50 AM
  BART
here is my 3 cents worth,
#1. HAVE the FORD apraised, maybe 2 times,
#2. TAKE IT TO A NATIONAL FORD V8 MEET,!!!!
you will most likely get close to what you would ask for it you would have the most interest there,people like to buy cars in person,
and you have a Captive Audience,the most interest is by buyers with SAME INTERESTS,
and if you are serious about selling,
do not get Greedy. take a Offer that you would be Happy With, pretty close to the apraised price.
I have seen people say no to the money, then have second thoughts that maybe they should have,but then it is too late,myself included.
ANOTHER WAY is with E-BAY, BUT PREPARE YOURSELF,
its not as easy,as you might think,
but you will get a lot of LOOKERS, for sure....
hope this helps
37RAGTOPMAN KEEP ON TRUCKIN
THAT FOR SURE IS A BEAUTIFUL OLD FORD....

supereal    -- 08-09-2010 @ 8:06 AM
  Tom: I was trying to be somewhat kind about the condition of the old car market. Actually, the collector car market seems to be at a low point not seen for years if you view the televised Barrett-Jackson, etal, auctions. Cars are selling at a fraction of the cost to obtain and restore them. There is no doubt that the horrible national economy plays a large part in this, as it does in the country as a whole. Our shop does a large part of our business with area car dealers, and to say they are hurting is a vast understatement. Accounts that we once billed in the thousands now are in the hundreds of dollars. I also believe there is a generational shift involved in this situation. Our Club reflects a segment of the hobby up to, and including, 1953. Focus has shifted to cars of the late 50's and into the 60's and beyond. Just last year, a famous area exposition, which had capped old cars to be shown at 1950, raised the limit by ten years because of falling interest by attendees. The era of the "shade tree mechanic" is long gone, and this reflects the concerns about both the cost and quality of parts necessary to create a safe and fun vehicle for those who are not able, through constraints on time and ability, to do much or most of the work. Collector cars were once heralded as "investments", apart from their actual use. In my opinion, this was always specious. It is a great time to be a buyer, of course, but if you are selling, this is a very tough time. For most of us the fun of having and using our cars continues to justify our involvement.

flatheadfan    -- 08-09-2010 @ 8:25 AM
  I couldn't agree more. Well said!

Tom

JM    -- 08-09-2010 @ 8:55 AM
  Bart, Based on those pictures, I think your Dad's car is a very nice restoration! If the mechanicals are well done and the car is 100% drivable, then IMHO it should easily be worth 24 to 26k. JM

trjford8    -- 08-09-2010 @ 9:42 AM
  Bart, that is a very nice car and it's a flatback. They are rarer than the tudor touring sedan. I will still stick to my orighinal estimate of $18,000 to $23,000 based on the current market. I would post a photo ad on this site and on the Fordbarn site. I would also run an ad in the V-8 Times, Hemmings Motor News and in Old Cars Weekly. You should also consider an ad on Craigslist with a photo. It all comes down to exposing the car to as many people as possible.
As a word of cautiion when posting your car on the web you will get some e-mails from from people in foreign countries. Do not respond to them as almost all are scams.Real buyers will call on the phone after they e-mail you.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 8-9-10 @ 9:56 AM

BigBlockFord    -- 08-09-2010 @ 5:50 PM
  Don't rule out overseas bidders or buyers. I listed a late 60's Mustang on Hemmings and it sold in three days to a man overseas. He had it placed into a container and sent by boat.

You can always list it on Ebay and place a reserve on it, or try Hemmings online.

Best of luck.

MOXIE    -- 08-09-2010 @ 6:22 PM
  Do you know who he purchased the uphostery from.

Bart    -- 08-10-2010 @ 7:57 AM
  Thank you all for the great information. I will find out who he used for the upholstery and post it later today.

This message was edited by Bart on 8-10-10 @ 4:27 PM

Model B    -- 08-10-2010 @ 3:30 PM
  Bart...That is a great looking '36! I have never had a '36..I had a '35 3W Cpe, which is a Deluxe model. I am wondering if your '36 isn't a Standard model? i.e. the black gear shift lever & black emergency brake lever along with the 2-digit (miles) speedometer trip counter. Again, I have never had a '36 so I might not know what I am talking about (per usual!). Pat

Bart    -- 08-10-2010 @ 4:27 PM
  Moxie, dad purchased the mohair upholstery from the LeBaron Bonney Company. Their website is www.lebaronbonney.com and phone number is 1-800-221-5408.

Model B, spoke with dad and he said that is without a doubt a 1936 Tudor Deluxe. He stated that it won three Dearborns as a deluxe with those items as they are. They only thing that was added since then was a radiator fan so that it doesn't overheat at traffic lights. You can see the switch for the fan under the dash to the left of the steering column. I hope this helps.

Thanks again for everyone's help. I'm still torn on selling it. I'm sure there aren't many #1s out there. I'm moving back to Palm Beach, FL soon and may join the club down there.

This message was edited by Bart on 8-10-10 @ 4:30 PM

trjford8    -- 08-12-2010 @ 8:11 PM
  Bart, if you do not need to sell it I would hang onto it. It's a very nice car and you know the history. Once it's gone you will not be able to replace it, even if you decide you want another old Ford someday.

1934 Ford    -- 08-17-2010 @ 5:09 PM
  TrjFord8 is right. Keep it.
I've heard the same story over and over again since 1972. "My dad had one just like it, restored to perfection and we sold it, Sure wish we still had it!"
You found this web site, also look at AACA.com and learn what a great hobby this can be. I think there are more car guys than golfers. We show, drive, repair, restore, talk about, dream about, tinker with,
polish, improve, trade, Tour, race, rally, curse at and love and lie about them.
Then when our kids eventually get them they can do the same or sell them and regret it later or get into the hobby themselves. Can't do that with golf clubs
(except the lying part)

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1658