Topic: 37 bubbles in fuel pump glass bowl.

dean333    -- 07-27-2023 @ 11:19 AM
  I have a 37 sedan, previous owner replaced the gas tank with the outlet at the top of the tank. I’m seeing bubbles in the glass bowl at the fuel pump. No gas leak anywhere, starts and runs. I get an occasional buck on acceleration. Any ideas?

TIM CARLIG

ford38v8    -- 07-27-2023 @ 12:23 PM
  The bubbles are incoming from a leak. You won't see a gas leak on the suction side. Check the bowl gasket first for that air leak. Simply cranking down just a bit on the thumbscrew on top may do the trick, but a more likely fix would be to replace the gasket. The best gaskets for those pumps are cork, moistened with oil.
Next most likely cause would be the fittings on both sides of the flex line. Just snug those a bit also. Also possible is to have a pinhole in the flexline itself. Shewman makes an excellent flexhose, his ad is in the V8 Times.
The last cause you don't want to hear is a rust hole in your fuel line.
I did not mention the fuel pump itself, as the bubbles described are in the glass bowl, before the pump. The stumble you experience is directly caused by a lack of fuel, caused by the air leak, as evidenced by the bubbles.

Alan

dean333    -- 07-27-2023 @ 1:14 PM
  When the tanks was replaced they installed a braided hose from the tank to a fuel filter under the door area and on to the pump. There was also the same braided line from the pump to the carb, which I replaced with the proper steel line. I tightened the ditto on both sides of the filter. The thumbscrew is at the bottom of the fuel bowl, not the top. I replaced the cork gasket several weeks ago and had no bubble problem until just a few days ago.

TIM CARLIG

ford38v8    -- 07-27-2023 @ 1:25 PM
  Tim, I got it upside down on the thumbscrew, but my advice still holds, check all connections before the pump.

Alan

dean333    -- 08-03-2023 @ 9:25 AM
  A few months ago I had replaced the bowl gasket with one I cut from a sheet of cork gasket. I filled the bowl and turned it sideways and upside down, it didn’t leak then so I reinstalled the pump. Returning from a cruise last night I found the bowl was damp on the outside. I found the proper gasket and installed it. The proper gasket was 1/8” thick, the one I made was only 1/16”. The bad gasket was all swollen and distorted. No more bubbles! The picture on the top is a previous old gasket.

TIM CARLIG

This message was edited by dean333 on 8-3-23 @ 9:27 AM

dean333    -- 08-07-2023 @ 3:06 PM
  Bubbles are back. Drove 44 miles to a show yesterday, surged and bucked terribly driving 45-50 mph. Previous owner installed braided gas lines with a filter from the tank to the pump, going to re-check the connections.

TIM CARLIG

carcrazy    -- 08-07-2023 @ 5:10 PM
  If your vehicle has dual exhaust pipes and a modified fuel line, the fuel line may be too close to the left side pipe causing the fuel in the line to vaporize. Solutions to this condition are either moving the fuel line away from the hot pipe or installing exhaust wrap on the pipe to reduce the transfer of heat into the fuel.

dean333    -- 08-08-2023 @ 11:29 AM
  It’s single exhaust. Previous owners’s schlock “mechanic” used braided instead of steel gas lines. I saw a video showing how lines are put together, I don’t think I tightened them properly. Rechecked this morning and was able to get another turn or so on the fittings. Saw one burst of bubbles only on start up, Going to road test to a cruise night later today.

TIM CARLIG

dean333    -- 08-24-2023 @ 4:50 PM
  I’ve driven 100 miles or so since tightening the hoses. I get a burst of bubbles on start up but no more when running, runs great.

TIM CARLIG

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16575