Topic: Fuel getting into oil pan of "41 V8

martin.scheffer@gmail.com    -- 07-22-2023 @ 10:11 AM
  Having trouble with fuel getting into the oil pan of a recently purchased '41 V8. Have been pouring small amounts of gas into the carb to start the car after it has set a week or more. This appeared to be the reason for the pan oil to become jet black and smell of gas. After a careful flushing out of the oil, I switched to starting the car using NAPA starter fluid and giving the carb a very quick blast or two. The fluid has a very distinctive nasty smell. Back in the garage after a drive of about 20 miles I begin, and continue to smell gas for a week or more. A check of the dip stick shows that the oil is very black and smells very strongly of gas. I pulled the top of the Ford 94 carb and the float chamber is dry. I rebuilt the carb a couple of months ago even though I found it to be in perfect condition. I rebuilt the fuel pump as well as I was working on the theory of a leak or partial obstruction in the fuel line accounting for the inability to start the car normally. Could the carb be leaking during driving and while setting in the garage from the Power Valve control out through the passage into the carb throat? After rebuilding the distributer, the engine has been running perfectly which makes me wonder about the power valve theory. Anybody got an idea for me to try?

kubes40    -- 07-22-2023 @ 11:03 AM
  You may, by my way of thinking, have more than one issue. First, I would check and double check the power valve and the mating surfaces. Many of the modern valves do not seat against the bowl.
Some guys will place the power valve in a small lathe and cut a flat upon the mating surface.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

pauls39coupe    -- 07-22-2023 @ 12:01 PM
  Check the fuel pump. It could be leaking into the stand which would end up in the oil pan.

martin.scheffer@gmail.com    -- 07-23-2023 @ 9:33 AM
  Thankyou for your suggestion, will look into this and let you know

martin.scheffer@gmail.com    -- 07-23-2023 @ 9:35 AM
  Thankyou. I had totally overlooked this angle. Never considered gas leaking back out of the pump housing. Will check it out and let you know

TomO    -- 07-24-2023 @ 6:05 PM
  IMHO you could save yourself a lot of aggravation by sending the fuel pump and carburetor to Charley Schwendler in New York. After he rebuilds your carb, you will not have to use starting fluid or dump gas down the carb to start your engine. I don't like to recommend someone to repair your car, but he has a very good reputation and I have had him do carb work for me. The carb he did for me works better than any other carb that I have had rebuilt, or rebuilt myself.

His contact information is cas5845@yahoo.com

Tom

mfirth    -- 07-25-2023 @ 4:57 AM
  What Tom just said times 2.

martin.scheffer@gmail.com    -- 07-25-2023 @ 4:20 PM
  Thanks for the info on where to go for a rebuild. I ran a test for the first time on the carb yesterday. Took the top off the carb last evening. The float chamber was empty after sitting about 7-10 days. Filled the chamber up to 3/4" of the top and sealed it off. Checked this morning and all the gas was gone in the chamber with the exception of the accelerator pump housing which remained filled. The little ball remained in the check valve hole held there by the circler copper "keeper." I did not check to see if the pump housing was full when I first found the float chamber dry, but the amount of gas I poured into the chamber was far in excess of what would fill the pump housing. WHERE DID THE GAS GO? Did it end up in the oil pan? You got me as to how that might have occurred. I suspect a different cause. Still the question remains. Any thoughts, wild or otherwise would be appreciated

trjford8    -- 07-25-2023 @ 4:44 PM
  Sound like the power valve is still leaking and the gas is going into the pan. Send both out to Charlie as recommended by others.

pauls39coupe    -- 07-26-2023 @ 8:19 AM
  Looks like you found the problem. To be sure, take the carb off, put it in a flat pan with a few paper towels, and fill the float bowl with gas. Chances are good you will see the pan covered in gas overnight or sooner.
I would check the power valve to be sure it is tight and the gasket is correct. Some replacement power valves were made for Holley 4 bbl carbs and have a tapered area at the end of the threads. These will not seal well on the 94's.
If you don't find anything that is obvious to you, send the carb to Charlie as others have recommended.
Paul

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16566