Topic: 36 philco 6 volt ash tray radio

tpenty1    -- 07-17-2023 @ 1:38 PM
  I had my philco ash tray radio converted to 12 volt and it worked great. However, with the engine is running I got the whining noise, so I bought a 12 volt 10-amp noise suppressor that was said it would eliminate engine and alternator noise. Well, it still makes the wining noise. The noise suppressor was installed in the power line and connected to a good ground. If you had this problem and eliminated the nose please let me know what you did. Thank you.

Model B    -- 07-17-2023 @ 2:53 PM
  Tom, Just turn the radio off and listen to your lovely wife! Pat

tpenty1    -- 07-17-2023 @ 3:46 PM
  You have a point there Pat F. But she couldn't help me.

fenbach    -- 07-18-2023 @ 7:36 PM
  Tom,
A couple things. Send me a link to the noise suppressor. I've never heard of such a thing.
Does the pitch of the whine change with the engine speed?
Have you talked to the folks who did the conversion?
Bob D

TomO    -- 07-20-2023 @ 4:53 PM
  I would start with checking to make sure that the shield of the antenna lead is grounded at both ends. This is the most common cause of that problem.

Tom

tpenty1    -- 07-21-2023 @ 8:48 AM
  The noise Suppressor is a Pipeman's BC-NR12 power inline device but didn't resolve the problem. Yes, the engine whines louder during Excelleration. I have ordered a suppressor for the arial which I am hoping will do the job which I will let you all know. Thanks for your responses. Tom

MG    -- 07-21-2023 @ 9:44 AM
  There are some tips in this article that may help you > https://www.crutchfield.com/S-ELk2GUcs4kq/learn/learningcenter/car/noise_suppressors_installation_guide.html

Engine noise and alternator whine

Noise introduced through the power and ground wires connected to your receiver is called engine noise or alternator whine. If engine noise is your culprit, you may hear a whining or clicking sound. Its pitch will usually vary with engine speed.

If this is the case, you can install an alternator noise filter on the power line between the battery and the alternator to minimize the problem. You can also install a noise filter on the receiver's power lead to cut down on signal pollution (American International's S15A (15-amp, 250-watt) or S25A (25-amp, 350-watt) filters, for example). Most often, however, alternator noise comes from a loose or intermittent ground connection.

fenbach    -- 07-21-2023 @ 9:38 PM
  Tom,
That filter can only remove interference introduced thru the power wire. In other words, the interference must be coming from somewhere else. It's a simple so-called notch filter after all. Simple but effective at eliminating a specific range of frequencies. Do check the ground connection at both ends of the antenna as TomO suggests. Even experiment with a separate wire connecting the antenna shield at the antenna end to ground.
Something else to check is the wiring to the speaker. The original harness with the 3-pin plug into the radio is shielded, preventing interference. If you have modern wiring to the speaker, make sure that you have 2 wires from the radio to the speaker and that neither terminal of the speaker is grounded.
good luck. I'd be curious to know what antenna filter you buy also. For what it's worth, I have a 6 volt alternator on my '36 and no whine.
Bob

tpenty1    -- 07-24-2023 @ 4:40 PM
  I finally found out the culprit that was causing the wining sound in my radio when the engine was running. The arial that I had placed under the running board several years ago had grounded out at the connection probably from vibrations. The inline arial suppressor increased the volume and clarity. The power inline suppressor did nothing. Oh well another lesson learned. However at 87 I don't like working under the car just driving it. Thanks for your responses.

the power inline suppressor didn't do anything. Oh well, I am not out much and had another learning experience. Only problem is I am 87 and do not enjoy working under the car only driving it. By the way I found a local guy who had worked on vintage Philco radios and was able to convert it to 12 volts as I did with the electrical system. I never did find a proper resistor for when it was 6 volts.

This message was edited by tpenty1 on 7-25-23 @ 2:41 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16558