Topic: retainer for the choke cable and throttle control

46coupe    -- 07-04-2023 @ 6:46 AM
  The retainers that hold the cables to the dash have broken. My problem is how to replace them. Both are located on the lip of the dash which I can't see. only feel, and can't get light or tools in there. The pieces hold the outer part of the cable to anchor it while the knob is being used to move the linkage via a wire. The car is my 46 coupe. Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated.

1942deluxe    -- 07-05-2023 @ 9:18 AM
  Really helps to have a visual on them. There should be a curved edge on the retainer and take a screwdriver and a hammer to tap it out. The clip looks like a smaller version of what retains the rubber (flexible) brake line. I'm assuming you are referring to the end nearest to the knob.

This message was edited by 1942deluxe on 7-5-23 @ 9:20 AM

46coupe    -- 07-07-2023 @ 5:10 AM
  I'll try to take a picture if I can get my camera at the right angle. There is not much left and there is a lip where the edge of the dash bottom goes up so it is hard to even get a finger in there. Your description of the part is helpful and I'll try to get a couple of those parts at the parts store. Thanks for your help and response. I will get back to you when I have some more info.

1942deluxe    -- 07-07-2023 @ 5:30 AM
  Here's a picture of the clips. C&G ford parts and some of the other vendors have them.

46coupe    -- 07-07-2023 @ 9:09 AM
  Could not get a good picture due to interference from other knobs and cables blocking access. Thanks for the pictures. Is there a hole in the clip for mounting? Thanks again for your help.

46coupe    -- 07-07-2023 @ 9:12 AM
  Just looked at the picture again. Do these clip on the lip of the dash with the spring /coil trapped in the groove for the choke cable?

1942deluxe    -- 07-07-2023 @ 9:58 AM
  There's a slot on the end of the choke/throttle cables where the clip slides into and against the back side of the dash. Again very similar to the one end of the flexible brake line.

46coupe    -- 07-09-2023 @ 3:26 AM
  Ok, thanks for clarifying. I'll order a pair this week.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16528