Topic: No start

silverchief    -- 07-02-2023 @ 12:24 PM
  Pulled the distributor from my stock 49 Flathead to install new spark plug wires, points and condenser. Freshly c charged battery.

Points are set very nicely at .16 Opening them by hand shows a nice spark. Burnished condenser at setting to insure good contact.
Reading at voltage regulator is .6. Reading at coil is little over .4
Looking into throat of carb verifies fuel at both jets.

installed distributor using marking made before removal, rotor points to # 1 cylinder contact at the bottom of it's cap.

Verified weak spark at the plugs. Can't get as much as a cough, even using cold starting fluid.

All suggestions re most probable cause are appreciated.

This message was edited by silverchief on 7-2-23 @ 12:31 PM

MG    -- 07-02-2023 @ 12:39 PM
  You removed the distributor???

40cpe    -- 07-02-2023 @ 12:43 PM
  The first thing I would do is to put the old condenser back in the distributor, considering it was running before the tune up.

Drbrown    -- 07-02-2023 @ 2:02 PM
  To me, no coughing suggests an ignition issue. Good that you checked the carb. A weak spark might say a defective coil, condenser, coil wire and/or its fittings between the coil and distributor cap, rotor or cap. As 40cpe noted above, since coil was working before your started its reasonable to assume its okay but check voltage at the coil terminal. And as he suggests, try the old condenser and check the coil to cap wire and its fittings. Some times new condensers are bad. Further afield, I suggest check routing of the new plug wiring and their connect fittings each end. My check list: What kind of new wire ? Premade or cut and fitted by you ? Was the rotor and cap replaced ? To the good, at least your getting some spark which indicates to me the coil is getting electricity and giving spark of some value and the points are making that happen.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 7-2-23 @ 2:06 PM

carcrazy    -- 07-02-2023 @ 4:18 PM
  Are you sure you have the distributor timed correctly?
It may be off by 180 degrees.

silverchief    -- 07-03-2023 @ 8:44 AM
  Thanks guys - all good suggestions. I'm going to start by putting the old condenser back in.

The wires are NAPA Belden Edge Premium. ....I had to cut and fit.

If I don't get a strong spark holding the coil to distributor wire close to a good ground I will install a spare coil.

I will let you know what happens.

silverchief    -- 07-03-2023 @ 2:04 PM
  Looking at two different automotive articles regarding re-install of the distributor on my 49 flathead.

Both have illustrations identifying what plug wires go into what holes in the distributor cap. They are identical excepting one shows wire for number one plug going into hole at the top of the cap, and the other shows it going into a hole at the bottom.

Is one in error or does it really matter?

carcrazy    -- 07-03-2023 @ 4:36 PM
  When installing the distributor what matters is the location of #1 spark plug wire to the rotor terminal when the crankshaft is at TDC of the compression stroke. The cam (and rotor) rotates in the clockwise direction. The spark plug wires must be installed in the proper sequence for the engine to run correctly. Starting with plug wire #1 the wires are installed clockwise in this order 1-5-4-8-6-3-7-2. TDC is indicated by a groove on the crankshaft pulley.

silverchief    -- 07-07-2023 @ 10:59 AM
  Installed new plug wires, points, condenser, new rotor and distributor cap.

Installed wires in cap at correct place per instructions from this forum.

Engine started right up, but just a little rough until I used a timing light to line up the two markers on the engine pulleys

Then it smoothed right out. HOWEVER, from this position, the copper line carrying vacuum from the carb to the vac mechanism on the distributor arrives about one and a half inches from its original attachment point, when the engine was running great.

If I rotate the distributor to correct that, the timing marks will no longer match up.

Not sure what to try next. I can't believe bending the copper tube is the answer.

Welcome all suggestions.

This message was edited by silverchief on 7-7-23 @ 11:04 AM

pauls39coupe    -- 07-07-2023 @ 3:37 PM
  Your distributor may be off a tooth or two from the original position. Moving the housing got everything lined up so the engine will run fine as is. Consider bending the line as you have it running OK.

carcrazy    -- 07-07-2023 @ 4:20 PM
  You can simply lift up on the distributor until the distributor driven gear clears the driving gear on the camshaft, rotate the whole assembly in the correct direction while retaining the same relationship between the rotor and the distributor housing and you will have the distributor correctly oriented in the engine so you won't have to bend the tube.

silverchief    -- 07-09-2023 @ 12:02 PM
  Thanks Paul. I did and it runs fine.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16523