Topic: Door panels

gmcbuffalo    -- 07-02-2023 @ 11:55 AM
  My 35 coupe does have door panel, lost somewhere. What are folks using to make new one? I’m

Greg Meiling
1935 3 Window Coupe

trjford8    -- 07-03-2023 @ 8:25 AM
  The black upholstery panel board can be purchased from any upholstery supply company or your local upholstery shop.

Rockymountainsparky    -- 07-03-2023 @ 9:00 PM
  Would templates be available? I'm going to need panels for my 36 3 window.

This message was edited by Rockymountainsparky on 7-3-23 @ 9:00 PM

trjford8    -- 07-04-2023 @ 8:12 AM
  I don't know if anyone has templates. You might run and ad on here and Fordbarn to see if anyone may have an old panel and can make you a paper template from their panel.

Bobbys36    -- 07-04-2023 @ 1:52 PM
  With LeBaron Bonney gone, I had to make my own door panel templates for my 36 Tudor. I purchased the largest poster board I could find at my local Hobby Lobby. I actually had to extend the cardboard with a small strip for the front doors since they were taller than the poster board was wide. I trimmed the poster board to rough size and then punched four holes in line with the top four holes of the window regulator and holes for the window handle and door handle. Paint applied to the regulator screw heads is useful for transferring the location of the screws to the poster board. I then used screws and flat washers to securely hold the poster board to the door. I then traced around the perimeter of the door on the back side of the poster board and roughly marked the top where the garnish molding goes. The template should be cut back a bit from the edge of the door to allow for the upholstery to wrap around the edge and to not interfere with the door closing. I think I cut it back about 1/8" or maybe slightly less. I erred on the larger size and had my upholsterer leave the edges unwrapped so I could trim the edges during installation if needed.

I then reinstalled the template on the door and secured it to the door with the window regulator screws and washers. I applied paint around the door clip holes and pressed the template against the door to transfer the location of the door clip holes to the template. Also, I installed the garnish molding and then traced the outside edge of the garnish molding onto the template.

The template can then be removed and the holes for the door panel clips should be indicated on the back side. Using a door panel clip, determine how far you need to punch a hole for the clip to be installed in the panel. I made a guide out of scr*p poster board that had a small hole (1/4") and a larger hole (3/8" I think) for the door clip insertion. The guide allowed me to punch the larger holes a consistent distance from the door clip holes. The top of the template should be trimmed for the garnish molding. I left about 3/8" of the panel to go under the garnish. The rear quarter template can be made in a similar manner.

The attached photos show the front door and rear quarter templates that I made and gave to my upholsterer. The black tape on the door panel is where I extended the template to make it wider. The photos show the line scribed at the top for the garnish moldings and the door panel clip holes.

This message was edited by Bobbys36 on 7-5-23 @ 1:18 PM

Rockymountainsparky    -- 07-06-2023 @ 8:30 PM
  Wow! That was a nice job and very well explained. Thank you so much.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16522