Topic: Electrolyte grease

silverchief    -- 06-29-2023 @ 11:18 AM

Recall a not-recent thread that said electrolyte grease sold over the counter does not conduct electricity that well, and recommended instead a product manufactured by Sanchem Inc. of Chicago.

I have a 2 oz container of grease I remember I ordered from them, last year labeled N0-OX-ID "A SPECIAL"

Does anyone remember the thread. I planned on using it as a lubricant in installing a et of new spark plug wires but want to be sure it is actually
a good conductor of electricity.

Thanks.

Kens 36    -- 06-29-2023 @ 11:49 AM
  silverchief,

The word you are looking for is Dielectric grease. Do a search, type in dielectric, choose ALL in the drop-down box and you will see several threads. The first is probably the one you are looking for.

Ken

silverchief    -- 06-30-2023 @ 2:42 PM
  Ken

Thanks for the suggestion but ran the search for Dielectric with no results.

However, I ran a Google on the product I have and came up with an excellent article confirming it's uses.

Far and above over the counter Dielectric grease.

This message was edited by silverchief on 6-30-23 @ 2:49 PM

40 Coupe    -- 07-02-2023 @ 5:00 AM
  Dielectric grease is an insulator and is used as a lubricant especially to prevent plug wire boots from sticking on the spark plugs porcelain sh*ll . Can be used on electrical terminals such as light bulbs in outdoor fixtures to prevent the light bulb from corroding and sticking in the sockets. The rubbing of the two electrical terminals together will give a good electrical contact through the grease for a light bulb to function and since the grease is an insulator will prevent electricity from conducting from one terminal to another. A very light coat is all that is necessary. Check the electrical rating, if rated at 10,000 Volt modern cars coils can develop in excess of this rating. Sold at auto parts stores

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16517