Topic: E J Whitney alternator

thirtysixford    -- 06-26-2023 @ 11:13 AM
  I picked up the generator to alternator conversion the E J Whitney Co made for me.

A few initial impressions.

My generator had the engine fan mounted directly to the generator pulley.

The original front mount 78-10139 is retained along with the 79-10094 bearing and the 78-10030 pulley. This eliminates the concern about the front bearing of the alternator not being capable of supporting the engine cooling fan loads. It now has 3 bearings. Unlike the article I saw else ware on this type of generator with the pulley mounted fan, the generator shaft is not tapered and it has a keyway.

The unit is about half the weight of the original generator. The main body appears to be an aluminum tube machined to look like the generator. You might be able to see the front of the internal alternator through the pulley fan on the photo.

Tom installed terminal posts on it to make the original (on my car, not original '36) wire harness bolt up, purely cosmetic. It now only requires the Bat terminal on the rear endcap to function. Similarly, the firewall mounted voltage regulator is now just a junction box for the wiring, serves no other purpose.

Craftsmanship is suburb, you can just tell everything is quality. Two weeks turn around, a pleasure to work with this company.

Very happy

JM    -- 06-28-2023 @ 9:01 AM
  Thanks for posting the info on this product. I've thought for years that if I ever became unhappy with running the stock generator and electronic cutout regulator I would go with one of these alternator conversions, but that day has never become necessary for me.

John

Jacques1960    -- 06-28-2023 @ 1:29 PM
  I’d like to second all of your positive comments; superb work by Whitney

RAK402    -- 06-29-2023 @ 11:39 AM
  I agree with all of the positive comments regarding the E. J. Whitney alternator.

I have had one installed in my 1940 for about two years now.

Excellent product.

Liz505    -- 07-16-2023 @ 5:43 PM
  Hi thirtysixford,
I am new to flatheads and am having my 6V generator converted to an 6V alternator by EJ Whitney. I have charging issues and live in a rural area, which makes breakdowns truly awful (sketchy cell service). I had a RG recommended shop go through the car and was told that the generator was weak and it would be a good idea to go to an alternator. It seems a worthwhile upgrade. How is yours working out?

I have a mostly stock 1937 5 window with the cooling fan on the generator. Tom at EJ Whitney told me I have a Model 79 generator from a truck. I am trying to decide whether to do generator/alternator change out myself or leave it to someone more experienced with EFV8s. It seems pretty straightforward. What was the most difficult part of the process? If I think it is beyond my skill set, I'll have a pro do it.

Thanks for the input, Liz

Thanks much,
Liz

thirtysixford    -- 07-16-2023 @ 7:26 PM
  Liz, My '36 has a later model 24 stud engine, a 59AB. The generator on it was what Tom said was a 78. I think you can find numbers stamped or cast into the forward edge of the front generator mount where it bolts to the front of the intake manifold. Mine started with 78
This generator is non original to a '36 . I think it's a 2 brush generator from a later flathead with a firewall mounted voltage regulator. It had the engine cooling fan mounted to the generator pulley.

When you convert to the Whitney, you can retain the voltage regulator as a junction block, or eliminate it. The new alt/gen only requires one wire, goes to the battery terminal on the rear end plate of the generator and then to the battery or amp gauge of the car.

Your photo shows a generator with a cutout. Tom can probably mount a dummy cutout if that's what you want.

Installation is just the same as the original generator. Belt, mounting nut etc bolt right up.

The only issue I had was that some of my wiring wasn't in great shape and when I disturbed it, I had to repair it. Had nothing to do with the Whitney generator.

Tom answers phone calls, is extremely knowledgeable and is a pleasure to work with. I have no regrets.
I'm a happy customer.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16509